Anyone have a boxer?

Im thinking about getting one in the next couple of months. I want a white one. What color is yours and what do you think about this breed? Good with kids?

Chas21

Asked by Chas21 at 8:39 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Pets

• I have 2 boxers. I have a white male and a red and white female. They are both fixed and live in our very large fenced in back yard. They are both full of energy but the MOST loving dogs. I wouldn't have any other breed! They are very smart and listen well. They do get a little carried away and want to jump and love on my 2 year old but with a stern down they will listen. Good luck with your decision. Oh and we have had my white male a while and he is not deaf or had any other kids of issues.
    laurat506

Answer by laurat506 at 11:41 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• sorry to play devil's advocate. Puppies if that's what your interested in are just so tough to train plus have to walk randomly even with a fenced yard if you have one when little kids or babies are around. sigh I've had dogs and newborns and little kids.

I don't know how many if any kids you have just a sentence from somone who's trained dogs and babies, and toddlers and preschoolers with puppies and dogs.
    Anonymous

• I HAVE A FEMALE AND SHE WONDERFULL WITH KIDS AND THEY WILL WATCH YOUR KIDS AND YOUR HOUSE ! MINE IS RED AND WHITE , I HAD MY BOXER FOR 8 TO 9 YEARS AND SHES GETING WHERE SHE CANT GET UP AND DOWNE LIKE SHE USE TO , SHES GETING OLD , WHEN SHE DIES IM GETING A NOTHER BOXER ! ! THERE A BEST DOG TO HAVE AROUND YOUR KIDS AND FOR A WATCH DOG ! ! GET ONE AS ITS A PUPPY ! ! ALSO THERE NOT CHEAP ! !
    Anonymous

• They have a ton of energy. They need a lot of structured exercise. Big dogs do well when crate trained in a house with kids. It gives the dog her own space to chill out.

If your children like to run around, if you are an active family that hikes or can play sports with the dog, it'll be a great addition to your family. They stay puppy-ish for about 3 years.

One caution about bull-type breeds and all white color: some of those dogs have neurological and vestibular problems. Seizures, deafness, and balance issues are more common in all white bull-line dogs.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:41 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Pure White boxers are most often deaf.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:53 AM on Feb. 8, 2010