When you show dogs affection its a sign of weakness to the dog?

I don't get this. I read somewhere that when a dog wants to be touching with his paw or nudges your hand so you'll pet him, he's actually establishing dominance. I don't see this in my dog. My dog does this, but he minds very well and he knows that I am the boss. If I get upset with him he puts his head down in shame. I don't know why pros say this? Is that really true because I think my dog does it because he loves me. I have established dominance over him just fine.

lowencope

Asked by lowencope at 9:12 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Pets

• If it's a sign of weakness then call me a big fat baby!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:17 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Sign of weakness? Are you kidding?
    Anonymous

• ok, thank you!!!! I think that's just ridiculous. My dog loves me! LOL
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:20 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• The theory is that if the dog is demanding affection and you give in then the dog is dictating your behavior. A pack leader dictates behavior.

It's a passive dominance behavior. He's not doing it because he loves you. He's doing it because he loves attention.

You should call your dog over to you when you want to love on him. Then he'll know that you call ALL of the shots.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:37 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I think people are over thinking it and nit-picking.
    If your dog is behaving fine and you are happy with your house, then who cares.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 7:22 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• It's no different than your child asking for affection & attention.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:46 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• It is a sound theory. I am an avid dog owner and have trained my dogs as well as rehabing dogs from rescues and homes with behavior issues.
    The dog is NOT a child and should not be treated as such.

However, NOT ever dog will try to challenge you for dominance of the pack. The behavior is a passive aggressive ploy , but does not always result in a dogs misbehavior. However it CAN

If I had a DIME for every time I pointed out subtle behaviors and showed how  much of a difference it makes to your dogs over all attitude i'd be a rich girl

FooLynRoo

Answer by FooLynRoo at 5:34 PM on Feb. 10, 2010