Did you expect others to help you raise your children before you had them?

I knew my kids were my responsibility from day one. Anything extra that came along with it was greatly appreciated, but never expected. I knew my husband's family would not be that involved(they never where involved with him) from day one, I was okay with that. I still wanted kids with HIM. Who makes a family? Who you make the family with? Or do the ones who fail to participate in our idea of a family keep us from it? Sorry rambling, just some thoughts.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Only DH.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 9:16 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I didn't expect it, but our parents helped us out financially in the beginning. We were both college students and poor. We used some government assistance as well as far as medicaid and wic for formula. We are doing much much better now and keep climbing up higher and higher. We are so blessed. I must say.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:18 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• No, I didn't expect it. I remember a skit from sesame street where they were talking about families come in all shapes and sizes. Your family is what you make it.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:21 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• No I didn't expect that, that is just ludicrous. Me and my husband have always been independent and responsible. I expect family to spend quality time with my kids when they can.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 9:22 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• My DH and I are raising our son. I'd love to have my family more involved in our son's life, but for some reason, the fact that he is living with autism seems to scare the crap out of them. It's THEIR loss!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 11:50 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I certainly expected my hubs to help me raise our kids. I didn't expect extended family to help raise them, but I did expect them to be active members of my kids lives because that is how my family is. And they have been. My mom and dad (dad and stepmom now, mom's passed away) take the kids for at least one week during the summer - because they want to spend time with them, my sisters all take the boys for weekends, sleepovers, babysitting - just as I take my niece for the same. My mil babysits while I work - we were paying her at first, but now she does it for free. My fil takes the boys skating, garage saling, etc. Family, including extended family, has always been a big part of my life and I'm glad that it's a big part of my kid's lives too.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:01 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Nope. I just expected it to be my husband and me. On a rare occasion, a grandparent might babysit, but I would never expect it or think I'm entitled to it. My in-laws and my parents are busy working and have lives and hobbies. They've raised their children and I would never expect them to raise mine!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Our families live all over and not in Washington so we knew we were flying solo. In a way, I am glad because we skip a lot of family drama, holiday obligations, etc.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:52 AM on Feb. 8, 2010