How often is your daycare kid sick?

My 16 month old son is in daycare, and gets sick all the time. He's had 2 stomach viruses, a cold, something respitory, and pink eye in the last month! We feed him healthy food and take great care of him. I should also mention I live in snowy cold winter. How often does your kid get sick? Is there any vitamins, or special food that could help him? (besides the regular servings of fruit, veggies and potein...those are covered.

sunshine58103

Asked by sunshine58103 at 9:31 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Was he breast fed?

My daughter has been in daycare for over a month and she hasn't caught anything... with all over those things i would worry about their methods for preventing those types of sicknesses from spreading
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 9:38 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• My first vitamins by Flinstones
    Mamaof2boys1802

Answer by Mamaof2boys1802 at 9:46 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• My son has been in daycare for 7 months. The last couple of months seem to be constant sicknesses going around. I know this may be normal for winter up north here. He was breast fed for a little while, then formula. Just want to hear from other mom's with same experience....if your kid is grown...do you think it helped their immune system?
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 9:55 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• it looks like "my first vitamins" are for children over the age of 2. :( But that's good information for then.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 9:58 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• If it is any consolation...getting this illnesses at a young age actually help to build a better immune system. My son was in daycare from the age of 7 wks old on...he used to get sick all the time(nothing too serious,just head colds and stuff..and yes he was breast fed too...breast fed kids can and DO get sick).
    With my 2nd baby..I have been lucky enough to be able to stay at home with her(she'll be a yr old next wk)...but I do babysit a couple kids...and it seems like between the 3 babies...they have been exchanging the same runny nose/cough for about 2 months,lol. One gets better...another one gets it...its a vicious cycle,lol.
    Good Luck! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:59 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• BTW, I forgot to meantion...my son is now 9 years old...turning 10 next month and I can't even rememeber the last time he got sick...so I truly do agree with the idea that getting small colds and such from daycares when young helps to build an immune system up! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:00 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• DD has been in day care since she was 3 months she is now 20. We also live in a cold winter area.
    Last winter she was sick the whole winter, had a nebulizer for most of the winter- due to phenomia, brochotis, and nasty colds..... plus ear infections. This winter she has not used the neb once ear infections are still occasional even with tubes. But i think that the longer they are exposed to the germ and what not the healthier they will be down the line....
    LizaJayne

Answer by LizaJayne at 10:07 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• My DD got sick most often when she first started daycare 2.5 years ago. Now a days she is hardly ever sick. She built up an immunity.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:20 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I think there are some daycares that are better than others. I know most of the daycare kids in my circle of friends and family are always sick. ALWAYS. But my kids are older and are constantly getting sick in school too. They are just gonna get sick no matter what but really the odds of them getting sick when there are a bunch of snot nose kids all together day after day seem much higher:) lol
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 10:25 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• they are better off to get them over with give it a couple months and both you and your child will be a walking immune system. My daughter has a runny nose all the time, but rarely gets sick. Sometimes she gets a cough or congested, but it never turns into anything I take her to the dr's for!!
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 11:27 PM on Feb. 7, 2010