I'm an 18 year old college student who just found out I'm pregnant! I've been living on pizza, frozen dinners and Roman noodles...I'm assuming that's not an ideal diet. WHAT DO I EAT?

What am I supposed to eat?

I got some prenatal vitamins from the clinic here on campus to take until the midwife I chose can get me in for my first prenatal visit but before I got pregnant my diet was crap.

I bought some apples, strawberries and carrots sticks today but I'm assuming I need more than that.

This pregnancy was unplanned and I don't know anything about being pregnant so any advise you all could give me would be great.

I haven't told my mom yet because I want to tell her in person (I'm going home to tell her in 3 weeks) otherwise I would call my mama and ask her what to eat and do.

Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• http://www.marchofdimes.com/pnhec/159_823.asp
    Anonymous

• Good job on getting the vitamins right away that will help alot. Any fruits and veggies but there are some meats you cannot eat such as sandwich meat and the dr will probably tell you that cause it causes problems and you can eat tuna but only once a week. Drink plenty of water everyday and cranberry juice is good cause you can get bladder infections easier when your preggo and that does not feel good. I did eat fast food with all 3 of my pregnancy's and my babies all came out fine. If you start to crave ice get tested to see if your iron is low.
    Anonymous

• The fresh stuff is great you need some high quality protein like chicken- turkey -eggs- fish (not all fish is ok but safe fish are like talpia, trout-- no deep sea fish (like tuna)--
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:45 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• When I was poor and in college, I would buy an econo size bag of frozen or a package of fresh chicken breasts. Wrap and freeze them individually and you can make a lot of different meals that are good for you and not very expensive. Hope that helps!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 9:45 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Thank you for the link # 1

Eating ice means low iron?
    Anonymous

• THANK YOU EVERYONE!
    Anonymous

• so far just buying what u bought is a good start.. also u can try maybe haveing one or 2 eggs a day , cherrios are good. potatoes, pasta,toast, any meat (pork chops, steak, chicken,hamburger ) also any veggies like corn peas, zukinnie, brocolie.. becareful of sugar intake and sweets they can make u gain weight my first pregnancy i ate icecream all the time and sweets and looked like i was haveing twins which i wasent...ohhh and high sodume isent good eaither..best of luck..always carry crackers with u like saltines or ritzs...
    Anonymous

• Drink lots of water, no caffeine, just mainly eat healthy, if you shop the perimeter of the grocery store and avoid a lot of processed foods you should be good. If you get to feeling sick, eat saltines, or something bland like toast, eggs, whatever sounds good. If you're throwing up everyday just make sure you're taking in enough fluids. Hope all goes well.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:48 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• fruits. vegetables, milk. water. some unhealthily stuff is ok. try eating throughout the day especially if your nauseated .. some advice try to stay in college.. I didn't go & it sucks cause I hate my job, but no one else would hire me If I paid them & I don't have time with my 4 kids & job.. don't start doing any new exercises.. don't clean any cat boxes, don't use harsh chemicals, don't pick up anything over 5 lbs, better safe than sorry.. congrats.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 9:52 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• yeah I ate ice a lot and they found out I had low iron. they told me when I crave it to just eat a slushie. gives you the same satisfaction.
    Anonymous