Is it bad to go past 40 weeks?

My doctor wants me to come in on Wednesay because that's my due date. She said if I don't have the baby by then she'll be inducing Wednesday night or Thursday morning.

I just did some research and everything I found said your not over due until 42 weeks so am I missing something?

Is there some reason it's bad to go over 40 weeks?

I was kind of hoping to go into labor on my own so I could stay home as long as possible.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• oh my godness, there is nothign wrong with going over 40 weeks. please don't let that dr. induce you.

go check out the natural pregnancy group, you will get many helpful answers from them. please read up more on it, before agreeing to an induction.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:57 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• You do not have to be induced at 40 weeks unless there is something going on with your health or with the baby that makes it important to have the baby out sooner rather than later. If everything has been normal up until now, I would let your provider know that you do not want to be induced.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 9:58 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I would like to add that your Doctor can't make you come in for an induction :) Don't let her bully you into a medical intervention that you aren't comfortable with.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 10:00 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I would just tell her you would rather wait. I told my doctor all three times that I would not induce until the latest possible date. 41 weeks 4 days is the longest they would let me go....mostly becasue they don't do inductions on weekends. They did a stress test on me at 41 weeks and baby was fine. Anyway, if you want to wait it out, tell her that. It is your call!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:03 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• that is weird I agree to try to be forced into an induction on your due date.

My due date for one of my babies was on an 18th. My plug came out Friday a.m. the first of the following month my contractions started that Friday night. I had uneven contractons longest twenty minutes in length through Monday morning when one of the ob's in my practice saw me after a two week vacation and said wth are you doing here. get home get yr things and get to the hospital. I went in that afternoon of Monday and was absolutely exhausted being so overdue. At 2pmthat Monday I was 5cm, my water was broken later. At 10pm 10cm dilated. I pushed for two hours and baby would not move into the birth canal. I had a different ob for hospital than who saw me that morning in office. After midnight a section was decided on, that was earlly early Tuesday morning. My baby was born a bit after that by emer section18days late&was 10days hosp. infec.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:11 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• i actually was due with my first son on jan 26 and when i showed no signs of dilating my doc decided to induce feb 1st..( i ended up having a c section but because im real small and my baby was an 8 pounder and ddnt fit in my pelvic area makin it harder for me to dilate and labor to drag on for HOURS so dont let me scare u, that was just my situation and evry preg an labor is different) but according to my doc ur not really due till 42 weeks because how they count those 2 extra weeks it takes from ur period to actually getn preg..so yea its ok..bout inducing i feel some ppl need a little push to get things started cuz if i had waited to go in to labor who knows how long i would still have been preg for!..o and it is possible to induce ur own labor! thats wut im working on next month!! msg me to kno more..
    fatboysmommy

Answer by fatboysmommy at 10:13 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• lfl here:::meant I agree it's weird that your ob wants you to be induced when you're just literally 40 weeks. Maybe you misunderstood and she has a concern of wellbeing?

Don't allow yourself to be past 1 week past due. I was so sick and exhausted that first year of my baby's life. But to be induced at 40 weeks is really questionable. I was given pitocin that Monday after noon. Ask for a blood test to determine baby's age as well as a highlevel ultrasound. A medical concern is reason for 40 week induction but going into beyond 41 weeks is also questionable.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:16 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I was induced at 42 weeks following a nonstress test and i had no amnio. fluids (i swore to them my water broke 2 weeks prior but they said no..needless to say when i deliverd my son they saw the tear off to the side and it did break)...thats the only reason they induced me...but if the baby looks fine i would let nature takes its course unless your in pain or the baby is. GL!
    Anonymous

• Are you having a healthy pregnancy, no complications?
    If you and baby are fine and healthy, no health complications, it is SAFER to allow labor to begin on it's own.
    Unnecessary inductions add risks. If you are hoping to have as safe a birth as possible, you'll want to avoid unnecessary risks.

An unnecessary induction (like yours would be) is also called a convenience induction. When there is no medical reason for it, then it's for doctor or mom's convenience. This is not as safe as awaiting spontaneous birth.

If you're healthy and fine, no need to add unnecessary risks.
    Everything is your choice, you are responsible for your own care. So be sure to get all your questions asked~ even research the responses you get to see how they compare to available information.

Because 40 weeks is the mid-point of the average estimated due period (38-41 weeks), you can know that you might still have time...
    Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:20 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I would ask your Dr why he/she thinks an induction is needed and go from there. I was induced twice once because of the baby and his kidney problems and the second with my DD who was really really big. My body actually does better being induced. Infact they only used the pitocin to start me going. Once they broke my water the pitocin wasn't needed anymore my body took over. Those two were way easier on me than my first that was set off naturally. BUT EVERyONE IS DIFFERENT!

So start asking questions... your Dr works for you... not the other way around
    momof2cuteboys

Answer by momof2cuteboys at 9:03 AM on Feb. 8, 2010