pregnant kitty?

ok so I take my cat to get fixed.. they write pregnant on her discharge papers.. how can they fix a pregnant cat??

maiahlynn

Asked by maiahlynn at 10:04 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Pets

• it's a kitty abortion.

they should have told you she was pregnant before doing the procedure first though just to make sure you were OK with continuing.
    Anonymous

• uh that is weird you better call them monday
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 10:05 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Yeah..I would call them. Did they actually proceed with the spay or is she still pregnant? I don't think that would be right of them to go ahead with something like aborting the kittens without your consent...can they do that?
    I would be peeved if they did and didn't bother to call me first.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:11 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• she had the surgery.. & i'm just wondering if that would kill her babies.. PAWS is supposed to be a non-kill clinic.. why would they do this? note last time she had kittens she didn't show until almost ready to have them.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:18 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Its very common for someone to take their pregnant cat to get fixed which is why they probably didnt tell you. Mean? I think it is, but there are mean people in the world who would purposely do it. They dont know you, so they probably didnt tell you in fear you did know and then be peaved they didnt do the surgery. Cats dont have rights in this country anyway, we love them, but you figure abortion is legal in our country on women and most of the time consent isnt an issue there either.
    Anonymous

• I work at a vet and we do it a lot unless the animal is ready to give birth. There are so many animals out there suffering because someone did not take responsiblity for their mama by having her fixed.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:26 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I also work at a Vet clinic and we too do alot of spays on dogs and cats that are pregnant unless they are ready to give birth. 90% of these are very early pregnancies that we discover during surgery. Its possible that your kitty was only a couple weeks pregnant. I don't think that you should be mad at your vet, maybe you could call them and find out how far along she was. I know where I work we don't call owners when we find out a cat is pregnant during surgery because the whole purpose of getting them spayed is so they don't have babies and plus its kinda hard to just put a surgery on hold to call the owners. Sorry if you are upset about loosing the kittens but just think, now your kitty (and YOu) don't have to raise a litter of babies.
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 12:21 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• They usually charge more if they are pregnant, did they?

Answer by older at 12:36 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• no didn't charge more.. didn't tell me she was pg.. I'm not ok with them giving her an abortion
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 12:55 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Well maybe it was a mistake in the papers, call and find out and if they did, give them hell!

Answer by older at 1:02 PM on Feb. 8, 2010