do you think something is wrong with my 6 mo old granddaughter

she doesn't like to be around people she would rather play in her crib then in a play area at home she throws her arms back away from you if you pick her up she bangs and screeches at her books she has acid reflux bad is tongue tied and sleeps from 9 at night until 10 or 11 in morning
thanks

djb74

Asked by djb74 at 10:37 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Um, all these labels and she's only 6 mos?? OMG, Seriously?? She's a baby. That's what babies do Hon.
    Anonymous

• why are ppl so rude sometimes......shes asking because she is just concerned.
    brooklynjean07

Answer by brooklynjean07 at 10:58 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I can not give an answer on all your question but I do know from my mom telling me that when I was that age, I wanted to play alone, no one else playing with me, not even my family. I still like my alone time to this day.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:16 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• it is unusual but not shockingly so i would watch her and see if she hits her milestones if she does not get her in for an evaluation.
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 11:18 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I have to ask because I have never heard the term used like that...what do you mean "tongue tied?"
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:25 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• tongue tied is where the "cord like thing" under your tongue goes to the end of your tongue and attatches neer the back of the teeth making it so a child cannot stick there tongue out or learn to speak, and it often interfeers with learning to eat. it is actually a simple offoce procedure to fix. they just snip the "cord" and let it heal. to answer the question above.

and for djb: i would guess that being tongue tied has a lot to do with it especially if she is a normally developing child. she should be able to begin expressing herself by 6 months and it is very frustrating for a baby who cant. my 3 year old was the same way(not tongue tied but has speach delays) and she actually acted alot like that beginning at 4 months. frustration because people dont "get it" can cause a child to be standoffish for lack of a better term. i would talk to the pediatrition and ask them to fix it. the sooner it is fixed and she is able to
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:18 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• express herself the easier it will be for her to build relationships with the people around her. my daughter was 18 months old and we were both getting so frustrated because i could never understand what she wanted or needed and i talked to the pediatrician and she has been in speach therapy classes since and at three and a half we are just now starting to build a strong trusting relationship because she can now speak fairly clearly and i can understand her. i know it might sound dumb at six months old but its not. my 8 mont old can tell me anything she wants. baba, mama, dada, up, bite. and she has trust in people because we can listen to her and respond.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:24 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• most of my kids were tongue tied, and they got clipped during their first week of life. the sleep is normal, fine. i assume she is formula fed...so the acid reflux may go away when she gets off the formula. formula is very hard on a little baby whose digestive system is only just finishing development. she is only 6 months old. so keep that in mind too! if she is on drugs for her reflux, that could have an effect on her behavior. unfortunately it is probably too late to switch to breast milk! if she is breast fed, then a change in mamas diet might be needed.
    enjoy your grand baby! don't worry yet, just keep an eye on things. some babies are just not snugglers!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:30 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Thanks gals I had never heard of that but now I know!

She'll catch up I'm sure and then there will be no stopping her :) She is lucky to have a grandma who loves her so much to worry like that :)
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 4:11 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Honestly I think she's fine, it's so easy to think there's something wrong with your baby (or grandbaby) just keep taking her to her doctor appointments and give her love....nothing you said sounds that strange to me. Good Luck!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:09 PM on Feb. 8, 2010