Breastfeeding Question

So I'm 34 weeks and planning on Breastfeeding. I was wondering if there is any way to prepare your nipples for it so that its not such a shock to your body. Any opinions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They used to recommend rubbing them with a washcloth, but now they don't. There really isn't anything you can do to prepare, except reading about breastfeeding. and buying some Lanolin. I suggest checking out Kellymom.com and some of the breastfeeding groups here.

Messing with your nipples can cause contractions and early labor.
    Devory

Answer by Devory at 11:02 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• First off, CONGRATS on making the decision to breastfeed!!! I'm breastfeeding my son and he's 11 months old. Unfortunately, no there isn't anything that can be done to toughen your nipples because nipple stimulatoin could send you into early labor. But I HIGHLY recommend you get some Lansinoh Lanolin. My nipples got so sore when I first started breastfeeding, but the Lansinoh helped soooooo much.
    PinkPanther112

Answer by PinkPanther112 at 11:07 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• it didn't seem hard to me at all no shock at all i mean the first day the baby was too tired to suck too hard.
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 11:14 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I agree w the previous posts. Just 2 add some social history...indegenous woman would pinch n tug at the soon-to-be mother's nipples to prepare them for nursing.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 11:27 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I didn't experience any pain, either. I was told that meant we were doing it correctly. Ask for a lactation consultant while you're in the hospital, or a good friend who has breast fed succsessfully.
    leeann509

Answer by leeann509 at 3:30 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Prepare your MIND. Find your local LLL and start attending meetings.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:12 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• nope you prepare yourslef. your mind, atke classes read book. attend lll meetings(like krysta said) is alearnign process for both mom and baby. getting support is what a nuring mom needs, ask your hospital if the have a lactation consultant on site
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:54 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I tried using the lanolin cream the few weeks before the baby came, but that didn't do much. There really is no preparation you can do in my opinion. Hopefully it comes easy for you. Just hang in there if it doesn't . My biggest beef with the lactation consultant when I had a baby was that she kept telling me "if it hurts you are doing it wrong." It hurt everytime at first. I had nurses telling me that was totally normal and they will be sore those first several days, but it does get better. Buy some of those gel relief pads. They were awesome. I kept them in the fridge and used them everytime after I fed my daughter.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 5:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• My doc told me to start using lanolin a few weeks before I gave birth, which I did. The breastfeeding class I took said doing that was worthless, I did it anyway and am pretty sure it was worthless.....it's probably going to be a bit uncomfortable the first few weeks and you may even consider quitting - but don't!!! - after you and your baby get used to it it's EASY and FREE and SO GOOD for your baby!! You can do it!!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:06 PM on Feb. 8, 2010