Breastfeeding question about teething...

What do you do when your baby is teething. I am pretty sure my baby is teething again. She has the two bottom ones and her gums all white right next to them, I know, she is getting teeth out of order. Anyway, today every time I tried to feed her she just cry or would bite me and then cry. I gave her some tylenol, she took a very unrestful nap and then ate quite a bit better (this was around 2pm) but then wouldn't eat the rest of the night, even after given more tylenol. So finally at ten I pumped and gave it to her in a bottle. She drank about 3 oz and has been asleep since. I can't see her sleeping long since she didn't eat anything close to normal. What else can I do? She has no problem going back and forth between bottles and breast but I don't want to use mainly bottles. She is 6 months old, in case you were wondering and she isn't on solids yet. We have tried them but she just gags.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Her teeth may be bothering her the sucking could be hurting her ears as well. Around 6 months my daughter went on a nusring strike and refused to nurse anymore. I would try to latch her on and she would get all upset and cry then I would cry and we would get nothing accomplished. So I ended having to pump and use bottles. sometimes they just wean themselves. I would give it another day and if it continues I would call the dr. she may have an ear infection that is not really hurting her too much right now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Okay, first oral jel is amazing.. it helps my daughter sleep so well when the tylenol just doesn't cut it.. she just got her 3rd and 4th tooth in.. she's 13 months... as for breast feeding just try to give it as much as you can.. its okay for them not to want to eat that much when they are teething.. do you like to eat when your in pain?

As for the starting solid foods.. just make sure you start with either rice cereal or oatmeal.. and mix in your breast milk or formula or whatever to make it kind of watery.. at first you just want the slightest texture.. its a long process getting them to get used to the texture.. you could even add in a little apple sauce or apple baby food.. just a little bit for flavor... even if she gags she should want to eat it for the flavor.. its normal for them to gag so as long as they are interested in eating i'd keep giving it to her
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:20 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I would do some orijel then BF the teething Tablets worked best for my DD then she would chew on the container!!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:40 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Hylands teething tabs are fantastic
    frozen damp washcloths are soothing
    I am not sure why your aren't breastfeeding. The breast is for comfort as well as nutrition. When she bites you, immediately pull her off, say NO! in a ver firm voice, remind her that mommies are for love, not biting, and let her finish eating.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:23 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:53 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• i agree with rkoloms, and kellymom is a great site. please stop giving your baby tylenol. her little liver may not even be fully developed yet.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:14 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• sorry, this can be a difficult time, it is so hard to watch our lo's suffer and or be uncomfortable. if her sleep and eating routines change a bit, just let them and don't worry. your baby should find great comfort at your breast.
    good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:16 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• OP here -
    I am not breastfeeding because she won't eat. I am offering all day. As I said she just cries or bites down and then cries, she never latches on to begin with. If she was eating I wouldn't refuse it to her. But she has been eating at night with any discomfort it seems so I know she isn't starving.
    Thanks for the advice ladies. I guess I will buy some orajel and try that out today.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Feb. 8, 2010