C-Pap machine?

My husband had a sleep study done recently and they said he needs one of these asap. I did some looking, but I want to hear from people with real life experience with them. Tell me everything you know, please!

phantomphan

Asked by phantomphan at 12:03 AM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Health

• We opted for surgery instead - hubby had his tonsils & adenoids removed, had his uvula trimmed out, and they took a bone out of his nose & reemed out his sinuses then packed them. It was his choice, he didn't want to deal with the cpap. A year and a half ago we went on a retreat, all the men slept in a big bunk room, and 3 of the other men had cpaps - he said they looked like the most annoying thing around, and said they were annoying to sleep with the sound of them. His sleep apnea was gone after his surgery, he doesn't snore like he did, he sleeps so much better now. It's been...gotta think...Dec of 02 is when it was done. He hasn't had any issues, and is still happy to this day that he had the surgery.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• My dad has one and it's made a world of difference. I used to be able to hear him through the floor (his bedroom is above the guest room) snoring when we'd visit, now I don't. He'd be tired all the time because he was waking up when he'd stop breathing, and now he's way better. My mom wasn't bothered by the machine and neither is my stepmom (mom's passed away).
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:21 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• My husband HATES it. He used it less then a week & now refuses to use it at all. So it sits in the closet. It did help when he used it but he said it was just too hard to wear. He could never get comfortable with it on, he said.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• My spouse has had a cPap machine for about eight years. It took about a week for us both to get used to it. We both sleep better; he lost ten pounds the first two months; his blood pressure dropped.

At the time, the success rate for the surgery was about 60%; I don't know what it is now.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:21 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Both my husband and I have CPAPs. I got mine first and then he got his. I barely tolerate mine, and he LOVES his. We both have the same over the nose masks, and the same machines. I recommend trying a few different masks or nose pillows as that will allow him to figure out what is most comfortable for him. I'm on my 4th mask, and they've all been different. The home-health company that the sleep doctor sends his prescription to will be able to help with mask fitting and exchange. If you want to know anything else, pm me.
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 9:08 AM on Feb. 8, 2010