How do I teach my son to stand and pee?

I've finally got my little man to use the toilet. He is out of diapers completely and wakes up dry every night. He is two years old and I'm very proud. Now this is what I need advice and help with, when we go to the store and he has to potty he tries to take everything but his shirt off in the bathroom. I've been trying to teach him to stand like his daddy but he refuses to. How do I get him to stand and pee? Or is it to early to teach him?

Narsita

Asked by Narsita at 2:09 AM on Feb. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son learned to sit and pee at age 2 within 3-4 months he was comfortable with standing. I had my husband show him how to stand and pee and then threw fruit-loops in for them to shoot at; he got so excited over the fact that when he stands he makes bubbles in the toilet that for a long time afterwards he was telling people he was going to the bathroom to 'make bubbles', lol. My mom suggested the fruit-loops or colored pieces of paper and IMO they are a great thing to have as an aiming tool.

My son is 5 years old and has not (so far *knock on wood*) hit the outside of the toilet and he primarily pees while standing even when out in public bathrooms or in the middle of the night. You probably already know but as a reminder little guys are erect if they wake in the middle of the night and have to go, so a good habit is to teach them to stand a little further back or hold it down during such times.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 12:04 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• He isn't ready. Let him sit until he has to go with the guys into the guys bathroom. Have Dad teach him because guys do not pull thier undies and pants down. My son was twelve before I found out he was doing that in the mens room! Dad had a come to jesus meeting about that. NOT SAFE. Not appropriate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• best to have his daddy teach him....I had the same problem and told my husband to teach his son, at first he thought it was weird to pee with his son. so what he did was took him out side and started with the tree. Then went in the bathroom. I do not recommend this! lol, now my son thinks he can pee on any tree without much thought!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Daddys can help alot in that area. But here is what I did with my son, I put a lil dish washing det. in there then let him pee it makes bubbles. It may take him a few times, but he will want to see himself making bubbles. Or if he does NOT like cheerios throw one in there and see if he can hit it with his pee. But only if he doesn't like cheerios, b/c my son did and I tried that and he wanted to eat the cheerio....LOL
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 3:15 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• He just dont ready,you can tell him that mans pee when they stand in bathroom,like dady.Your husband can try with him,to teach him.But why he must stand now,when he be ready he just do it.My husband even now sometimes doesnt stand,so dont insist.
    ilijana

Answer by ilijana at 3:38 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• all my son had to see was dad and half brother doing it and he followed suit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:49 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Have Dad help in the standing department. My wee one started standing on his own without coaching. He refuses to sit if he just has to pee. He started standing at 2. I say don't push it if he doesn't want to stand though.
    CarisaD

Answer by CarisaD at 6:03 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I have three boys and I had them go to the bathroom with Daddy. It's the easiest way to teach them because they usually want to be like Dad. Don't presure him to do it though because he'll start doing it when he's comfortable.

Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 6:07 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I don't think you need to teach it. He will eventually just want to do it on his own.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 6:31 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• The bes\t way is to have dad take over that department.. If he's only 2 maybe he's not totally ready to learn it that way yet. everyone is different everyone's do their things at different times.Just try to keep tyring with him. maybe you have to wait til he;s twoand a half. for him to be ready to do it. ;)
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:08 AM on Feb. 8, 2010