Would you bring your child to the theater with you?

For either of these two movies:

The Ugly Truth
Couples Retreat

I would NOT in any circumstances lol, but both times I went to see these movies in the theater, there were parents there with kids who were like ages 9-14 or so and even at the raunchiest parts they were just laughing and the kids were laughing. My friends and I were surprised. Is it just us, are we "prudish" parents or something?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 2:10 AM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It would depend on the movie. I don't know enough about either of those to say if I would or wouldn't. Generally, I only take my kids (who are 8 & 6 right now, btw) to the theater for kiddie movies, simply b/c then I know they are interested. If they're not interested, they won't sit still and be quiet and I won't let them ruin the experience for everyone else. As they get older and get better at being quiet, that'll change. You mention raunchy parts, so I will assume there are some "grown up" scenes of some sort...I don't generally hide that from my kids. I cover eyes during a sex scene, but for the most part, although I don't specifically let them watch movies that are beyond them, I don't hide it either, if that makes sense. When something happens during a movie that I wouldn't want them to see, say or do irl, we talk about it, and I explain why it's ok on TV/in a movie, but not irl.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:17 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• If it was my oldest, no. Youngest yes. There is a different set of family dynamics for the youngest vs the oldest. The oldest you still treat like a baby...the youngest..it's like...ya whatever...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• No, I would not.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:13 AM on Feb. 8, 2010