Why do I pull out my eye lashes and hair?

Ever since I was about 12, I go through stages where I pull out eye lashes and sometimes my hair. I don't just randomly pull them all out - it's usually only a certain area. It's like that area is sensitive, and kind of even hurts, and pulling on or pulling out the hair there makes it feel better. I have never talked to anyone about this and it's not something I constantly do. And usually I just pull on my hair, but pull out my eye lashes. It doesn't necessarily coincide with anything specific (stress, fatigue, etc). I know it sounds so weird... just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this or deals with this too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 AM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Health

• i have actually heard of a phsycological dsorder associated with this. trichotillomania. i just looked it up. it says that there are only low effect treatments meaning it only works sometimes. but talk to your doctor they might be able to help.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:40 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• This is known as trichotillomania.

I had it as a child, but it finally went away on it's own.

http://kidshealth.org/teen/your_mind/mental_health/trichotillomania.html
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 4:18 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• i do not pull them out on impulse, but sometimes i get aN INGROWN EYELASH and i pull it out because if not it is all sensitive and it hurts like hell.
    indysownlilbit

Answer by indysownlilbit at 8:43 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Thank you for mentioning trichotillomania. I looked it up and some of what it talks about I can relate to, like "increasing sense of tension before pulling the hair and gratification or relief when pulling the hair" and "individuals may have focused, or conscious, rituals associated with hair pulling, including seeking specific types of hairs to pull, pulling until the hair feels 'just right', or pulling in response to a specific sensation" (from wikipedia). I don't have bald spots - occasionally I will have a small "bald" spot on my eye lashes but when I put make up on it's usually not noticable. It's more common with my eye lashes but I also do it to my hair on my scalp, and occasionally my eyebrows now that I think of it. I'll try to mention it to my doctor next time I go in, but it is kind of embarrasing :-/
    Anonymous