my 14 year old daughter wants a laptap computer aint she too young to have one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:36 AM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I think it is all in how you handle the laptop. These are the questions....Is she allowed to use it w/o supervision? Can someone help you set up the parental controls? Can she use it anywhere in the house or only in sitting room? Will you have all passwords to websites? My 13 yo has one and it is all in how they are able to use it. there are also programs where it will tell you everything that has been typed on the computer. And she will never know of it of course unless you tell her. So it is all up to how you control the laptop. Or at least that is what I think
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 3:40 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I don't believe that she is too young. My daughter is four and she uses mine. Your daughter will benifit from a laptop or any personal computer. she will be able to type her homework, or complete project by browsing the web for info. I do recomend that you monitor her internet use.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 3:40 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• do you trust her? if yes then no she is not to young. if you know your daughter isnt trying to meet boys or looking at inapropriate things then go ahead. if you dont think you can trust her then make her use the family computer where she can still be closely monitored.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:44 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• NO she ain't. My ten year old, twelve year old, and 15 year old as well as myself and hubby, each have one. It is the tool of the age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:44 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• We bought our daughter a laptop for her 8th grade graduation. She does not have internet access in her room, and it does not have a webcam. She spends 2-3 hours a day using it for homework.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:05 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Aint? Sounds like she's going to need some outside source to help her get edjamacated.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:39 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I think it depends upon how you are running your family, how mature and responsible she is and how much you feel you can trust her.

My husband and I have computer majors and so nearly every year we're taking apart and building a computer or upgrading so our children have known what each computer component is at a very young age. The children right now share a desktop computer we built last year however after we move the two older ones (ages 9 and 8) will be getting our old laptops as their own so the younger two children will then share the desktop. My children know of the dangers of the internet, are very mature (it's not just me saying this I've had many people say this), and are respectful and responsible so I know they will be fine with a laptop.

If you have a doubt that it’s a good idea then maybe get a desktop and place it in the main-part of your home, or wait to get her a laptop.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 11:39 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• They have always said keep the computer where the parents can keep an eye on their child. If you give them a laptop you will never know what she is up to.

Remember, don't do whatever everybody is going, it may not be the best for your family. Your kids safety come first.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:44 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• LOL at anon :39.... I had a hard time getting past that too!

Anonymous

• No, she IS NOT too young to have a laptop. you can put parental blocks on the laptop and you can put timers on the computer to set the times she can use the computer. My son is 13 and has his own laptop, my niece is 12 and has her own. With the amount of computer work they do for school, it wouldn't be a bad ida. Just set rules and limits.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:25 PM on Feb. 8, 2010