SLEEP! PLEASE!!!

My son (3) has been waking earlier and earlier! And I’m seriously about to snap. He woke up just before 3AM tonight... just as I literally fell asleep. I’ve been up over almost 2 hours now dealing with him screaming and yelling bc I will NOT put up with this. I can not and will not stay up with him all night when I have to wake up tomorrow morning. Yet here I am awake bc no matter what I do he will NOT quit screaming!

What do I do? I tried putting him back to bed. Nope. I tried letting him play (what he wanted). Nope. I’ve tried to soothe him, yell at him, everything I can think of short of drugging or beating him. Now I’m about to go berserk. I can’t take this. I’m going to literally get 2 hours of sleep and since he’s staying home from school tomorrow (snow) I have NO chance to take a nap when my daughter takes hers. WTF DO I DO?!?!? I can’t do this! I just can’t! I’m so desperate right now!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 AM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Make sure he gets enough exercise. Due to the snow he may not be getting enough. For tonight, put on a movie and lie on the couch with him. :( Sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:32 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• ya i agree.. he needs to get more tired. how many hours of sleep does he get each day if he is waking up so early?? avoid giving him food that triggers hyperactivity like chocolates, sugary foods etc before he sleeps. try to play some soothing music while he is sleeping.
    have you tried to co sleeping with him?? my son always slept better when he was near me. let him sleep with his head on your arm and his body against yours (and dont worry about how you will get him out of that habit right now.. just work on getting him to sleep longer)
    hope the situation get better
    happymum2010

Answer by happymum2010 at 10:13 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Needing to be "more tired" is rarely the solution in cases like these. We've just been through something similar with my daughter (almost 3) -- waking in the night, being "all done"... You need to work with him on a back to sleep routine. With my daughter, we talked about it a lot during the day -- what she would do if she woke up in the nighttime. She would pull on her covers, say a prayer (I taught her a very simple one), then have each of her animals say one... then if she still wasn't sleepy she could talk with her animals, sing songs... Then we made a sign with the "bedtime rules"... we read it before bed each night and she helps "read" them, too. I offered a small reward (a charm for her bracelet) each night she went back to sleep without screaming. It took awhile before she got any charms and it didn't happen every night, but she sleeps through or puts herself back to bed most of the time now. ...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:48 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• ... What your son is doing is night waking -- 3am isn't early morning waking, it's night waking. No matter what he thinks he wants, he's not ready to be up for the day. So you have to treat it as night waking. It's not time to play unless he can play by himself in his bed. If he gets out of bed, put him back. No matter how much screaming. HOld the door shut if he's trying to leave his room. You can go back and tuck him in, but it is still bed time! With my daughter we made the rule that the last thing we would say to each other is "good night, see you in the morning." after that she can only talk to her animals or say prayers. Sometimes we have to start over several times, but she will usually accept it. But again, this is after a lot of daytime rehearsal. During the day, before bed, keep talking to him about what he needs to do in the situation. Repeat yourself until he knows how to say the rules himself.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:53 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I had to buy my son an alarm clock. When it went off, he could get out of bed, until then, he needed to stay in bed. It has a CD player on it too, so I bought a celtic lullabye CD that plays all night on repeat that keeps him calm. Also, before bed, we discuss that when it's dark out, we stay in our bed unless of emergency (peeing or puking). Then we get right back in. Also, does he have a night light? Is he afraid of something? Bad dreams or terrors? A night light, the closet door closed, and monster repellant (body lotion) were big helpers through the "I-don't-want-to-sleep" phase of preschool-hood.
    midnightshadow2

Answer by midnightshadow2 at 11:46 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I've always been a firm believer in rope and duct tape. (Just kidding)

I like what EmilySusan said. That and also remind yourself that this too shall pass. You're tired now, but fast forward about 10 years and you'll be right back here saying, "How do it get my teenage son to get his butt out of bed."

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 3:15 PM on Feb. 8, 2010