? for vegetarians

If you sent your kid over to my house for the night, would you expect that I would feed them vegetarian food, and would you be offended if I gave them meat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:48 AM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I am not vegetarian, but so that you have at least one answer, I'd think that if I cared, that I would send my child's food over and expect him to eat that.

Answer by Bmat at 7:21 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I'm a vegetarian, but my kids are not. They can make the choice to eat meat or not when they are older. I would not be offended if you fed my kids meat.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:47 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Unless the parent specifically requested me to feed them all vegetarian stuff, then I would serve whatever we're making. Or they can send food with their kid.
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 8:07 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I'm not a vegetarian, but I have some friends who are. One of them is vegan, her dh eats meat, dairy, etc, and their son is vegetarian. I think (but not sure) that this has been her dietary choice since before he was born / he was little, so he's been raised with this diet.

Another friend of ours who is vegetarian and her son is really good friends with our son (both teenage boys). Her ds jokes about one of the reasons he likes coming over is because I cook meat. His mom knows it and laughs about it, too, because she knows that he misses those things at home - she's been vegetarian for a few yrs.

I think it would depend on the individual and why they were vegetarian. To some, I don't think they would care. To others, they would view it as if you were trying to feed him a baby, so I would just ask her if she's ok with him having ___.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:14 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I'm not vegetarian so IDC. If you were, I would expect him to go by your rules and at least try vegetarian food as I would abide by your wishes and try to feed your kid vegetarian(You may need to send vegan food though as I am soooo undereducated about vegetarian cuisine.)
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 8:56 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• My daughter is vegetarian, as am I, and I would not send her to stay at anyones house without checking that they would only offer her vegetarian food. If they just didn't know how to make any nice vegetarian dishes then I would have no problem with making something and sending it over with her to eat.

I was a vegetarian child and when I went to stay at friends houses I would tell them that I was vegetarian and their parents were always happy to only offer me vegetarian food. If they had meat with their meal they would just serve me the non-meat parts of their meal - no problems.

If my children had friends who were vegan, or followed an allergy diet, or even only ate Kosher food - I would be happy to abide by their parents guidlines - it's called respect.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 9:34 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• i would chk with the mum and offer vegetarian if needed.
    happymum2010

Answer by happymum2010 at 9:50 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• If I knew they were vegetarian and had been for a while, then yes I would offer that child vegetarian foods because sometimes if a person is not used to meat, and then they eat it, it can make their stomachs upset and I would hate for that to happen. If I were vegetarian and sent my child to someone else house, I would just check with them to see if they could offer him vegetarian foods, and if not then I would send something.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:13 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• If I knew a child from a veg family was coming to my house, I'd have talked to the mom when the invitation was issued - I do it anyway for just-in-cases - you never know if a child is veg because of protein issues, and giving them meat could make them seriously ill - so yes, if my family was veg and my kid went to your house and you gave them meat I'd be upset.
    Anonymous

• This may sound weird, but if I didn't know you well enough to know that you knew my kids were vegetarians and should not be fed meat, then I wouldn't send them over to your house for the night. The only friends that have my kids over for dinner and spend the night are good family friends who know the drill, just as I know any "special" things about their kids.
    I have been a veg. since I was 9, and my best friend all through middle school had a great mom. She knew I didn't eat meat and every time I spent the night over there-which was pretty often-she'd make veggie burgers from scratch and other veg dishes. She thought it was a neat change for their family to eat veggie for a night. I never expected her too--I would have been just as happy to have a bowl of cereal or a sandwich for dinner, but she treated me like a welcomed guest :)
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:30 PM on Feb. 8, 2010