c-section vs natural??

is it true that its harder too loose the weight after a c-section than a natural birth?

newmommyjazz

Asked by newmommyjazz at 6:52 AM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I didn't find that to be true. I actually lost weight much quicker after my csection than my vaginal births. And my incision is "beautiful" - the other OBs at the practice I'm seeing with this pregnancy have actually commented on it lol, plus it's so low it'll never show in a bikini!
    It is true that you have a little less mobility after a csection for a longer period of time, but for some reason the lbs just dropped off for me; I was back to under my prepregnancy weight in an unbelievably short time. My body wasn't totally back in shape by the time I got pregnant with this one (my little one is 15 months, I'm 17 weeks pregnant), but some of that is that I'm 36 and it's just going to take some time as opposed to the way it bounced back after my 1st three kids I had in my 20s. But the weight was gone within 2 weeks or less.

Answer by missanc at 7:22 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I have had 4 c'secs & each time I've been sewn up with a pucker to the right or left - depending on which way the surgeon sewed.
    I think if a c sec is recommended for good reasons then weight loss is not your primary concern
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 7:02 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I'm not sure. I've given birth 3 times, first vaginally and 2nd and 3rd c-sections. I lost the most weight after the first but it took a year, the 2nd time it was a battle to come off and 4 months later I got pregnant again. I have lost weight rapidly in the last 3 weeks since I've given birth, but I've also made a lot of lifestyle changes that are the contributing factor to how quickly I've been losing, I don't think it has anything to do with the route my baby was born. I believe either way your body will bounce back quickly if you eat right and exercise, and with a new baby it's easy to get exercise just put them in the stroller and walk walk walk!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:29 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I think it depend on the person. However I would not opt for a c section unless it was medically necessary.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:56 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I think it depends on the person. However I would not opt for a c section unless it was medically necessary.

I would have to agree with the above. As always weight loss depends on your body type, how much exercise you are getting (walking early on), and what you eat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• well since I did have the csection incision to remove ovarian tumours years before babies - then had natural births.

I have a nice incision line - BUT its a defined line in the skin - no matter what I do its always there, its a scar (you don't see it its below the panty line) and scar tissue is strange in that it doesn't move or stretch easily.

to lose the weight depends on the person and not the delivery method. eat healthy, stay active.

I know that the healing from a surgery of that magnitude isn't fun (and I didnt have a baby to take care of thankfully) - they CUT your muscles. that hurt WAY more than natural delivery - natural the pain went away I was only sore for a few days.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:12 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I've had 2 c-sections .... Loosing weight seemed pretty easy. I'll admit I'm not yet where I'd like to be at (20lbs more). Only thing I noticed different from my friends who had natural birth was that their tummys are all firm and flat. Where mine is well not as firm and from the stitches my stomac pokes out. Which makes me 100% self caughtous of my whole body.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I lost all my baby weight in a week or 2 with both of my kids and both were c-section babies.

-xoxo-

Answer by -xoxo- at 12:17 AM on Feb. 15, 2010