Should teachers not educate on the Holocaust to avoiding offending?

Some teachers have decided that they should not.This article is from 2007
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-445979/Teachers-drop-Holocaust-avoid-offending-Muslims.html#ixzz0evkJB6v8

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Absolutely not. This needs to be taught so that it never happens again. Jewish people IMO are the most oppressed people in the world still today, and you never hear about it. 70% of all hate crimes are committed against Jews.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:12 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Screw offending. People are becoming WAY to thin skinned. If historical facts offend someone they have a big problem.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:19 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• No, It needs to be taught. I would have never known how bad it was if I wasn't taught. I want my kids to learn. We watched a movie when I was in school. Awful, I couldn't help but cry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• there are lots of horrible things that happened in history.... to not educate kids on them is like pretending they never happened
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:28 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Exactly peanutsmommy and to pretend the Holocaust never happened would be a huge mistake..some educators out there actually do not believe it ever happened or they deny that it was as horrific as it was.If we throw it away as if it never happened we are doomed to repeat ..if our children have no idea of these things taking place in history theyd never know for sure if similar was around the bend..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:33 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Its the truth...its history...no matter how ugly.

We need to teach this so that children can learn that hate based on race and religion is crazy and they can learn to love differences in people.

Choosing not to teach b/c of offending would be yet another tragedy for the Jewish people!!!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:55 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Why would Muslims be offended by teaching the holocoaust? Muslims had nothing to do with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• If we don't teach history ALL of it we are dooming ourselves into repeating it. It happened and to not teach it is being no better than the racist who deny the Holocaust ever happened.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Since it is still in the curriculum and part of the social studies/history standards, teachers are teaching it. Since this is a three-year old article, I would say this is out -of-date and just something to stir the pot in an attempt to harbor and encourage more of the teacher bashing that goes on here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Oh anon who cares about the date (not like it says 1970 no it is fairly recent) it brings to light the fact that some teachers would rather not have it taught to our youth..and maybe there are some who do not teach it or barely touch on it...

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:41 AM on Feb. 8, 2010