How do I get the FLUID out of my EAR?

I have an ear infection, and put some drops in, yesterday. Now, my ear has been plugged for 24 hours. It's driving me insane and it hurts! I've tried laying on heat (felt good, but pointless), and blowing the hair dryer in there (which was just silly). I'm hesitant to put any more liquid in my ear, even though everyone seems to have a 'home remedy' that would clear it up! As for Q-tips... I've been cleaning it out, but I can't push them in too far. (((TMI WARNING))) Clear liquid has been draining out on its own and, with the swabs, I've been getting some blood and dark, sticky gunk. Certainly nothing that's ever come out out my ear before! Ew! HELP!!!

mama_moonsong

Asked by mama_moonsong at 8:38 AM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Health

• at the VERY least it is perfectly safe to irrigate it with saline, or rubbing alcohol. the rubbing alcohol will help to loosen everything up- warm it before applying it.

In all seriousness, you need to treat it. I get an infection like that easily, even from trapped water in my ear from the shower... I use 50/50 white vinegar & rubbing alcohol ever 4 hours. I know its a "home remedy", but it is one that my physician suggested when I refused antibiotics (my system reacts HORRIBLY). Vinegar is an anti-bac... It kills the infection, the rubbing alcohol also kills germs but it's main purpose is to irrigate and DRY OUT the excess fluid.
    It usually takes about 3 days of using this to clear up one of my infections- I've been prone to them ever since swimming competitively as a kid (for 6 years). I use it as a preventative once every couple days as well.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:53 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Go to the doctor.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 8:43 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• You can't get it out because it is behind your eardrum. It's not like water in the outer canal after you go swimming. If you have as much pain as you say it is probably really infected. Did you get your ear drops from the Dr? You really need to be on an antibiotic. If the pressure remains on your eardrum for long it may burst. My daughter had hers burst once and she woke up to crusty ick all down her neck from what drained out. Go to (or back to) the Dr.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:52 AM on Feb. 8, 2010