Herbal remedies for anxiety?

I have social anxiety and have been on prescription meds forever. I would rather try something herbal but our closest Naturalistic doctor has a $400 initial visit fee I just can't afford right now. Any suggestions?

MissV_66

Asked by MissV_66 at 8:44 AM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Health

• St John's Wart has a couple of side affects that I did not do well with- one of them is sun sensitivity. You should google side affects of anything you think about taking... THAT SAID, I have had much success with herbals for anxiety and insomnia.

Kava Kava, Valerian, Catnip, St. John's Wart, Vitamin B 12, 6, 50 complex (believe it or not- worked WONDERS).

Whatever you decide- do a little research and try to pinpoint symptoms, and best match your treatment to eliminate those symptoms. The info is there for the reading, just do a little digging. I was once on prescription meds and they did more harm than good. Improving diet, getting sun, making myself feel more whole helped to negate some of the anxiety- which I do completely understand... But that is a story for another day.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:21 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• St. John's wort and melatonin, if you have trouble sleeping.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:45 AM on Feb. 8, 2010