Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long will it take to investagate my ex on tax fruad??

When I left my ex 7 yrs ago. I took our dd with me. Her father has been out of the picture the whole time. we got into it a couple years back because i would not go back to him and changed my myspace account. now someone is suddenly claiming our dd. we have had her enrolled in school, medicaid and foodstamps. we go to church and have several people that will tell we have had her with us. but they have not asked for any of that information. so how long will it take, and please tell me he will go to prison for tax fruad.


Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 9:07 AM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 16 (2,514 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • It shouldn't take long. You will have to have documented proof that she carried your address for more than 6 months. Doctor bills and school paperwork will be just about the only things they accept.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

  • Just stay out of it. He will get caught. It's something you really don't want to mess with. You might be wrong in your assumptions anyway.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

  • You need to call the IRS if you have proof.
    Do you have papers saying you are to claim her? It could be a long time (or never)before they catch your ex and they may contact you before they catch him. All they see is what is on the paper. There is nothing on a tax for asking if you are divorced and who has custody. They they see 2 people claiming a child with the same SS number and they don't know your situation.
    It would be a big hairy mess to have problems of this matter with the IRS.
    Good luck

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:26 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

  • we called them and they said it was being looked into. they didn't ask for any paper work or anything.

    Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 9:51 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

  • you will have to paper return it will take about 3 to 6 weeks to get your return the irs will infro 2 you and him to show the child live with. like school records doc. bills with your address .it will be ok. we had to do it with my husband ex. the first time we did nothing than she did again. she wasnt doing anything 4 her kids (3). so we had to do some thing GOOD LUCK!!!! "THIS 2 WILL PASS"

    Answer by LUVETER at 10:13 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

  • It will take forever. For the past 2 years my ex has been claiming my kids on his tax return, even though it's within my rights since I have them 75% of the time and there is nothing in our agreement. We have claimed them as well, since they are legally my dependents. Each year, we have gotten a letter from the IRS informing us that more than one person has claimed the same dependents as me - for us to amend our return if we were wrong, and do nothing if we were right. We have done nothing, and neither has he. The IRS has done no investigating whatsoever.

    Answer by missanc at 12:53 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

Next question in Money & Work
Job Searching TODAY

Next question overall (Adoption)