Pregnant, overwieght and out of shape.

Any suggestions for an exercise routine that would help me gain the suggested amount of weight and keep me fit without stressing my system. I already eat really well.

MissV_66

Asked by MissV_66 at 9:12 AM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• walking
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:12 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• do you need to keep your heart rate at a certain bpm?
    MissV_66

Answer by MissV_66 at 9:14 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• under 140 if you do not exercise regularly now
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:18 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• hi i was 20 pounds overweight when i conceived my second. i was so scared of becoming huge cause the first time i gained about 40 pounds during my pregnancy
    so this time i went to the gym. i would go about 4 times a week, 2 sessions of weight training (i had taken on a personal trainer so as to not make any mistakes). all my weight training excercises were supported movements (squats holding a bar or with a ball between me and a wall and so on) and the other two days i would walk for about 30-40 minutes at a speed of 5 km/hour with i later reduced to about 4 km/hour. as a result this time around i gained only 23 pounds and my baby was bigger and i definitely felt healthier.
    check with your doctor regarding excercise. also you should watch wat you eat.. not diet but dont eat too much sweet stuff or junk. have your fruits and veges.
    best of luck with your pregnancy.

happymum2010

Answer by happymum2010 at 9:21 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• i walked ALOT during my 3rd pregnancy. i mean everyday i took my other 2 kids out for a walk for atleast 30 minutes, unless it was raining or too tired. it helped tremendously, i only gained 40 lbs that pregnancy and the other 2 i gained 60. i've also lost weight quicker postpartum then i did with the other 2, and got out of maternity clothes quicker. you already eat well so if you keep up with the walking you should be fine. congrats on the pregnancy!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:25 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• You can add leg and arm weight to your walking routine after you've kept at it for about 6 weeks. Since you are maintaining the low-impact, 2-5 lb weights are very safe.

My YMCA has prenatal yoga and swim classes. Most of the women in the classes are not pregnant at my Y-- they are overweight older women, retired women. So don't feel bad about the way you look in a bathing suit. Grandmas don't care. And they'll want to give you loads of advice on pregnancy that is super out dated. Hilarious!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:35 AM on Feb. 8, 2010