Lilith?

I have seen this name on CM before and brushed it off. Well last night, I was watching tv (Nat Geo or Sci Channel ?) and it was about the Garden of Eden. The kids were getting ready for bed and I caught a glimpse on the program about a Lilith, a magazine?

Who is she? I thought it was a joke on CM.

3gigglemonsters

Asked by 3gigglemonsters at 9:50 AM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Its believed that Lilith was made by God from the same clay He made Adam so she felt as though she was equal to Adam and refused to be submissive to him. Adam thought that the woman should be on the bottom during intercourse, but Lilith refused to be in a submissive position. Anyway, Adam cast her out and sent Angels after her. She was so angry that she supposedly became vengeful and would take the breath of Adam's children, killing them. I think that's one story.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:08 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I'm definately not an authority on the Bible or religion, but from what I've read, some faiths believe that Lilith was the 1st wife of Adam whom he divorced or abandoned.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 9:58 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:09 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• In Jewish folklore she's Adam's first wife. The most familar legends of Lillith come from a mideval document called "The Alphabet of Ben Sira". The article "What's the story on Lilith, Adam's "first wife"?" is helpful.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:09 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I was watching the same show. She's supposedly Adams first wife and was scorned because she refused to be submissive. I say good for her. lol
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:51 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Lilith was the first wife of Adam, who left because he bored and tried to control her. Guess you can figure out why she isn't mentioned in the Bible... Also, heard an interesting take that Eve did not ignorantly eat of the apple... she chose it because knowledge made life more meaningful. Adam was the ignorant fool...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:57 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Well, Lilith is no joke! According to Ancient Jewish Lore she was the first wife of Adam. You won't find the story in the bible though, it was one of the many stories left out of the final cannon...

Here is a site with a list of recources that will help you: http://jewishchristianlit.com/Topics/Lilith/

And some others:

http://www.lilithgallery.com/library/
    http://www.art.net/~schong/lilithmyth.html

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:13 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• i whent to Wikipedia and typed in Lilith. under something named folk tradition it talks about something called "The Alphabet of Ben Sira". wich i think another posted talked about.

it said "The Alphabet of Ben Sira". is considered to be the oldest form of the story of Lilith as Adam's first wife. it said that The idea that Adam had a wife prior to Eve may have developed from an interpretation of the Book of Genesis and its dual creation accounts; while Genesis 2:22 describes God's creation of Eve from Adam's rib, an earlier passage, 1:27, already indicates that a woman had been made: "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them."
    flower_angel

Answer by flower_angel at 12:32 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• The Alphabet text places Lilith's creation after God's words in Genesis 2:18 that "it is not good for man to be alone"; in this text God forms Lilith out of the clay from which he made Adam but she and Adam bicker. Lilith claims that since she and Adam were created in the same way they were equal and she refuses to submit to him:

After God created Adam, who was alone, He said, 'It is not good for man to be alone.' He then created a woman for Adam, from the earth, as He had created Adam himself, and called her Lilith. Adam and Lilith immediately began to fight. She said, 'I will not lie below,' and he said, 'I will not lie beneath you but only on top. For you are fit only to be in the bottom position, while I am to be the superior one.' Lilith responded, 'We are equal to each other inasmuch as we were both created from the earth.' But they would not listen to one another.
    flower_angel

Answer by flower_angel at 12:35 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• When Lilith saw this, she pronounced the Ineffable Name and flew away into the air.

Adam stood in prayer before his Creator: 'Sovereign of the universe!' he said, 'the woman you gave me has run away.' At once, the Holy One, sent these three angels Senoy, Sansenoy, and Semangelof, to bring her back. Said the Holy One to Adam, 'If she agrees to come back, what is made is good. If not, she must permit one hundred of her children to die every day.'

The angels left God and pursued Lilith, whom they overtook in the midst of the sea, in the mighty waters wherein the Egyptians were destined to drown. They told her God's word, but she did not wish to return. The angels said, 'We shall drown you in the sea.’

flower_angel

Answer by flower_angel at 12:41 PM on Feb. 8, 2010