how do i stop breastfeeding?

my daughter is 20 months and i am ready to stop breastfeeding. any tips?

sarahlove28

Asked by sarahlove28 at 3:00 AM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Your breasts will eventually stop lactating once your body senses that you don't need it anymore. You may feel engorged for a few days, but throw off your routine and stop feeding or begin to ween.
    DarcyMavis

Answer by DarcyMavis at 3:05 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Do it gradually by taking away one feeding a day until she is no longer nursing. It transitions you both slowly.
    skylersmom44

Answer by skylersmom44 at 8:02 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I BREASTFEED MY BABY UNTIL HE WAS 20 MONTHS SOME PEOPLE THOUGHT THAT IT WAS WRONG BUT I JUST FEEL LIKE I WAS JUST DOING MY JOB AS A MOTHER.OK I INTRODUCE A SIPPER CUP AND THAN I GAVE HIM MORE FOOD AND THEN HE WOULD BREASTFEED MORE LESS BECAUSE HE WOULD BE SO FULL OF EATING. THE MORE YOU BREASTFEED THE MORE YOUR BODY MAKE MORE MILK BECAUSE IT WANT TO MAKE YOUR BABY SATISFIED.THAN ONCE YOUR BABY SEE THAT YOUR BODY IS NOT MAKING THE MILK THAT SHE NEED SHE IS GOING TO MOVE ON TO SOMETHING THAT IS GOING TO GET HER FULL LIKE OTHER KIND OF MILKS AND FOOD.I AM GOOD AT THIS BECAUSE I HAVE 4 KIDS OF MY ON AN THEY ARE ALL BREASTFEED BABY S.I WAS THE MILK FACTOR FOR A WHILE HA HA HA.
    godsaves

Answer by godsaves at 9:40 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• My sister in law (I stop breastfeeding when my son was 5 month not enough milk)had the same problem as you. What she did is to put band aid on her breast and when her daughter wanted to nurse she told her that mommy had a boo boo so that she couldn't breastfeed anymore. And it worked.
    sp30

Answer by sp30 at 10:20 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Do the weening thing. Take away the mid-daytime feedings first because it's easy to feed her other things. If she asks, distract her. Second to last you take away the morning feeding and last the night one because these are times your child loves to cuddle. Make sure you keep up the cuddling but read to her or do it when she's full and if she keeps asking say no more "" whatever you call it. As you drop the feedings you'll produce less and less milk and it won't hurt like stopping all at once.
    jackimci

Answer by jackimci at 10:42 AM on Jun. 26, 2008