So you follow all the AAP standards for feeding your baby.....

No honey and PB before a year..... No citrus.... cow's milk..... etc.etc.etc.......
So why let your baby watch tv?
Maybe this article will make you think twice before letting Barney or Baby Genius "babysit" your little one so you can do the dishes:

http://www.whitedot.org/issue/iss_story.asp?slug=ADHD%20Toddlers

AAP, WHO and other pediatric associations say absolutely NO tv should be viewed by children under 2.... Letting them watch tv is messing with their neural pathways and now is a researched fact that by age 7 they will have ADHD. Please I urge you not to give in even just a lil (what is 2 years? your child can wait) I am a special education teacher and I experience many children with special needs that their condition could have been avoided.... It is not a coincidence that the rise of ADHD, or even autisim for that matter, started after 1980 when cable television and VCRs became mainstream....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• And just so happened to be the time when they started overloading our kids with vaccines, too. Weird huh?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I never raised our boys by what someone else has said, or a book, I have used common sense. I'm afraid the Moms who put their babies in front of the TV aren't going to have the common sense to realize that it's wrong no matter who say's it.... Just like leaving a baby in a crib with a bottle, and then their teeth rot out, it's common sense. Or propping a bottle, the list goes on and on. IMO it comes down to attention, if you ignore a child, leave it to a TV to babysit, and not work with your child when their small they will be behind. I won't rule out the possibility that some children have bad reactions to vaccines, and that we can blame many health issues on allergies, but I still believe you should be held accountable when a child is just plain ignored...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:05 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I DO follow the AAP standards for feeding my baby. I DO NOT let him watch tv.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• lmao stfu people like you are so ignorant just like the people that said kids that eat candy are more likely to grow up and be arrested for a violent crime ADHD is bs a sad excuse for people that are lazy or just dont want to pay attention to something get over it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I may or may not follow the AAP guidelines. I did research on what to feed, sleep patters, car seats and allthat jazz. Then I made my own decision. I believe in the everything in moderation approach. Is TV in and of itself bad. no. Is tv to excess, when hit replaces true education bad? Of course! Is no tv good even if it means mom put child in a play pen and ignores him/her? No! So you really can't just say this is bad or that is bad. You have to look at the overall situation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• i follow what i feel si right for my child. i do follow the hobey and penut butter rule.

lets see. i do milkl before age 1.
    my kids watch tv alot.
    my dd leaned her abc, shapes,colors, and numbers 1-20 by the time she was 2 1/;2. she has a great vocab better then some 3 yrs olds or 4 yrs old i know. everyone tells me she is so smart and she wathces tv alsmot all day.!! oh and both my kids are vaccinate nevr have miss one never will
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:51 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Hmmm....I grewe up watching all kinds of tv...He-Man, My Little Pony, Strawberry Shortcake,The Smurfs and occassionally Sesame Street ..oh and I loved loved the school House rock song on tv.Guess what? I do NOT have ADD or HDADD. So I guess everyones theories and so called researched and proved facts are not always proven, now are they? Oh and my brothers and sisters,cousins...all the same. We even used to watch "Cry Baby" with Johnny Depp a hundred times in a row. Nope...were all normal. Thankyou very much for your input and concern though.
    Anonymous

• i know anon :14 i watched alot of tv alot and add. whats with parenst making up excuses for everything, first they blame vaccines for autism and now the tv for ADD AND ADHD!! if my child was born with no legs what am going to blame someone else!! i had a friend in school who had ADD and when he wasnt allot o watch tv till he was like5 and he had ADD. stop blaming your kids problem on the world!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:32 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I don't think the OP was saying that tv is the only reason ADHD exsists. However, it is a researched and tested scientific fact that the quick imagining of the television screen causes a not yet developed baby's/toddler's neural pathways to not develop properly. Scientist have scanned children's brains in blind studies and could tell which children have watched tv and which ones have not (neural pathways being straight or curvy). I am a pre-med student and have learned all about this last semester. But I'm not going to waste my time posting my research and resources, on you mothers who just want it to be ok to let your toddler watch the tube for 12 hours a day so you don't have to actually interact with them. And piwife, your kid is 2 1/2, the results don't show up until the child is at least 7. I pray your "parenting," or shall I say lack there of, don't effect her in such a way. (but you won't know for a few years)
    Anonymous

• I do follow the AAP's reccomendation of not allowing children under 2 to watch TV. My dd is 10 mo and the only TV she ever watched is when I used it as a last resort for her to let me aspirate her nose when she was sick and couldn't breath. But that was not evenfor 5 minutes. And my dd knows all her body parts and shapes and colors... WITHOUT the help of educational children's programs.She knows this stuff because her father and I spend time teaching her these things. She doestn't speak much yet, but she does point to her bady parts and will hand me the star if I ask for it or the purple ring (for example) And she "sings" her ABCs along with us. (in her proud attempt) We also practice baby signing. She knows things that her cousins who are 7 months older than her and 2yrs and 7 months older than her are just begining to learn (and they always got stuck in front of the tv) so I do think there's truth to this study.
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 5:54 PM on Feb. 8, 2010