How Do I Explain Down's Syndrome to my sons?

My boys are 7 and 4 and my brother's new girlfriend's daughter has Down's Syndrome. They are both accepting of everyone. But I would like to know how to explain this to them, before they meet her. I do not want them to make her feel like and outsider, I want them to welcome her and make her feel like one of them. Thanks for the advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Feb. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I will tell you what I would tell my children.

I would start by talking about how we are all different. You have brown hair,I have blonde. You are a boy I am a girl. I like reading, you like drawing. I can cook well, but you are good at riding your bike. Etc etc. Maybe talk about how some people are black, some are Asian...how they look different but are great and wonderful people even though they are different.

i would probably leave it at that. B/c you never know, they might not even realize the difference. Kids are sometimes blind to things like this. But if they did, I would talk about how she is different but also the same...she like s to play etc.

Wow, I rambled...sorry. lol
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:13 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Thanks.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 10:19 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• My cousins son has some disabilities, that my daughter (she 6 yrs old) noticed. I remind her that everyone in this world is different and that everyone isn't the same. I remind her that we don't treat anyone different on how they look or appear. We have friends that her daughter has disabiliites and is adopted. I explain to my daughter that her daughter didn't come out of her stomach but another person's stomach but she loves her daughter and is her daughter. She understand that concept. I have to keep reminding my daughter, but she understands. Like in our home we don't use the word FAT. it's a time out word and a negative word. She knows to say Heavy, which is great.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 4:41 PM on Feb. 8, 2010