When did you start giving your kids peanut butter?

My 18mo ds is a very picky eater and I'm running out of things to feed him. How old were your kids when you introduced pb to them?

EdgeOfSanity

Asked by EdgeOfSanity at 10:23 AM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• they were both a year old. At one time that's all my daughter would eat, so she would get a bowl of peanut butter. It's good for them.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:24 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• "It's good for them"

Only the un-salted ones are "good" for them, and even then they are full of butter - which is grease, so please don't say this. There is nothing wrong with the occasional bit of PB but it's not "good for you".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• actually it is, it's full of protien, which is good for them and essentail fats that are also good for them. Moderation is always key, but ti's not unhealthy
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:33 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I started around 14 months or so. I gave her some peanut butter on apple slices, then on a cracker and finally as a P&B sandwich. I agree its not "healthy" unless its ALL natural with no sodium and sugar. The popular kind has a lot of both. But its not candy and not the worst thing you can feed your child. Certainly serve it with WHOLE grains, fruit....other healthy foods.
    OP if you are worried about peanut allergy just give him a little to start of for a few days and see how he reacts to it.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:37 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• 1 year out of 4 kids, only one was allergic.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:39 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• A little over a year with my first and she was fine; my second daughter had some by accident around the same time and turned out to be allergic. It's an awful, scary allergy to have (we have to carry an epi-pen with us everywhere we go, we have to be very careful at restaurants, pot-lucks, any public places, really), so in your place I would wait until 2 (I think that's the current recommendation)... there's always a chance that my little one would not have been allergic if we had had it out of the house longer.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:43 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Oh..I should add that my family nor my husbands family have ANY allergies to food. So if thats not the case for you go with your doctor's and medical research guides.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:33 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• A year for all 4 of my kids - no allergic reactions, but we have no allergies on either side of the family either. My 14 month old really loves it, on anything!

Answer by missanc at 11:47 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• 2 but she doenst like it that much.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:55 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• We gave our first peanut butter around 21 months and our 2nd was given it around 17 months.
    SabrinaLC

Answer by SabrinaLC at 11:59 AM on Feb. 8, 2010