Sibling Dissagreements

how to you handle Sibling fighting in your house??? let them work it out, intervene, punish, discuss.....etc!.!???

JustGail

Asked by JustGail at 10:32 AM on Feb. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• all of the above, depending on the situation, and the severity of their altercation.

if they just need to work out who has what toy, that is on them.

they begin a scuffle I intervene.

they continue I intervene and we have a pow wow.

they STILL continue and we go to our respective corners until every one is calm.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:35 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I intervene...if I don't tell them that's not acceptable behavior, they won't know that it isn't acceptable behavior! I make them apologize, and seperate them if they don't work it out after I intervene.
    Ann_Ony_Mouse

Answer by Ann_Ony_Mouse at 10:50 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Give them some time to work it out themselves. Make suggestions as to how it might be solved, if you need to. Give them a set amount of time to do that, at which time it remains unresolved and they are still arguing. Send them to separate rooms with the instruction that they are to stay there until such time as they can get along. When they come out, if they go back at it, spank the whole lot of them since you will never be able to determine who actually started the original fight. My dad used this method, and he seldom had to use it, because we knew that if we didn't get along, Dad would eventually settle it and it would not be pleasant. It was a wonderful incentive to love the siblings and to get along with them. My dad used his belt, which today would be considered abusive, but he had three very well behaved, respectful children who loved their siblings. I think it's the only offence for which he ever spanked me.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:51 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Depends on what's going on and how loud they get. For them part I let them work it out themselves. they need to learn how to deal with this stuff now as kids. If an adult steps in every time they fight then they figure that's how it will always be and the real world doesn't work that way.
    If it comes to blows I usually step in once the screaming starts or if there is blood. If they are fighting over a toy and it has been going on for longer then I care to listen to I simply take the toy away and that's the end of it. They they have to figure out how to get along so they can get the toy back.
    And if the incident continues eventually I get fed up and they are sent to their (hopefully) separate room (but since I have 4 kids split between 2 rooms sometimes I have to figure something else out) rooms for however long it takes them to calm down and decide they want to play nice.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:11 PM on Feb. 8, 2010