Question for Stay at HOme moms.

Ok so I'm pregnant with my 1st baby. Right now I work four 9 hour days and am really wanting to stay home with baby for the 1st year. Any suggestions on how to be able to do this financially. My SO pays most of the bills and the ones I pay I'm pretty sure I have enough saved up for for a year. Any ideas.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well if you have all your bases covered then go for it. As long as you are recieving child support or are living with the baby's father.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:38 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Is there any way you can talk to your boss and ask if you can have an extended maternity leave so you can have a job when you're ready to go back to work? If they really like you, it shouldn't be a problem. Wish ya all the best!
    Ann_Ony_Mouse

Answer by Ann_Ony_Mouse at 10:43 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• OH! Maybe apply for unemployment? I think that's bout 80% of your regular income.
    Ann_Ony_Mouse

• Congrats on your first baby! I have loved staying home for just under a year now. My dd is 18 months and I'm also 5 months pregnant. I've saved tons of money in MANY ways. Gas by not driving to and from work daily, having lunch at home, serving meals homeade meals because I have the time and energy to do it, less doctor visits because my child isn't as sick as often as children in daycare, taking time to clip/print/organize grocery coupons...Um thats all I can think of right now. There are alot of helpful sites on line for SAHMS AND working moms in general who want to save money. Cooking homeade instead of buying out and buying premade frozen & packaged meals saves more money than I ever realized. And the fact that my gas tank stays full for 2 weeks is sort of miraculous, lol. We take trips to free and cheap things like house play dates, parks, half price zoo days, ect.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:43 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• In addition to MamaC's comments, you also don't have the expense of having to buy "nice" work clothes (if you work in an environment that requires them). When you have the baby, you might also want to look into your city's parks and recreation dept for their programs for babies/toddlers - they usually have very inexpensive stuff going on. Okay, not really a way to "save" money but a way not to spend lots on gymboree classes, etc.
    Also - could you work an opposite shift from your husband, or do something part time in the evenings when he is home? A way to keep your foot in the business world (you didn't mention what field you are in).

Answer by missanc at 11:03 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• When we decided I wouldnt go back to work after having our daughter...I decided to babysit at home to make some extra money to help make ends meet. Its not too bad and my daughter gets to have other kids of all ages to play with. I did have experience as a preschool teacher and a nanny prior to this.
    So far so good...and it has been just about 1 year.
    Congrats and good luck!
    :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:54 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• It sounds like you are in a much better position than most couples financially. When I had my first baby I made about twice as much as my husband and planned to go back to work. I breastfed my baby and fell so in love I couldn't do it. We had to make some changes and we even moved to where my husband could get a better paying job. There are lots of ways you can save money and you are lucky you get to stay home for a year.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:01 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• AnnOny is wrong about unemployment, you can only file for that if you're fired from your job, and many places will try to dispute it when anyone applies (we've been there done that).

Cut out anything unneccessary - eating out, little trips to the mall and picking up random things, buying coffee drinks, etc - make all your meals at home from scratch (convenience foods cost a lot more than scratch meals and homemade is a lot healthier), little trips out add up, buy a good coffeemaker if you don't have one. Turn off electrical appliances when you're not using them - tv, computer, anything in the kitchen. There are many ways to make it. We have a family of 6 and are managing (barely) on one income - we live with the bare essentials (no cable, 'net's free, only cell phones) so I can be at home.
    Anonymous

• for the next few months try living on his salery along. just put your check in the bank and do not touch it. if you can do it then go for it and you will have the added money you saved checking it out too.
    another thing to so is to keeo track of how you spend how much is gas how much is eating out at work. how often do you eat out just cause you are too tired to cook at night. that will give you an idea of how much you are spending so you can work

mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 12:53 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Taking time off work to be with kids (or for other personal reasons) is a huge decision, because of the uncertainty associated with 'jumping back in.' There are so many relevant factors (your profession, your location, and the length of time you expect to be out, e.g.) that it's hard to give a blanket assurance that your re-entry will be smooth or easy. If you're committed to the personal benefits associated with jumping off the treadmill for a period of time, that's a huge piece of the equation. "The Feminine Mistake" and other books have noted the financial risks associated with leaving the paid workforce for a long period. I don't mention those risks to be negative, but because they are real; I have seen some returning workers sail back into fantastic and highly-compensated roles, and others struggle to return at a reasonable level of pay and responsibility.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 8:46 PM on Feb. 8, 2010