5th's diease in young chidren??HELP!>!?!

when i tok my lil boy to the ER last night the dr mentiond that he looked like he might have fifth's diease..or it could be his exzema..
my question is should i be worried enough to call his dr and make an appointment with her? ive found little information about this. but from what i understand its not a good things to be around when pregnant, and from what i also understand the rash and red cheecks doesnt appear untill after the cold like symtoms are gone..which makes me think its jsut his exzema.
im super confused as to what to do right now..
any input or info would be nice.
TY

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 10:51 AM on Feb. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Fifth disease in and of itself is a mild illness. The issue arises if it is caught during pregnancy. If you're pregnant, you can ask your doctor to test your blood titres to see if you have already had fifth disease. I went through this when I was pg with my middle child... my toddler had fifth disease and I was tested to see if I was immune... the way my doctor explained it, if I tested immune there was no issue, if I had no antibodies they would continue to test to see if I contracted the infection, and if I contracted the infection they would monitor the baby and/or deliver early (since I was already in my third tri at that point.) As it happens I tested immune even though I do not remember ever having symptoms consistant with fifth disease so I had nothing to worry about. And my son was over it within a few days.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:28 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I vaguely remember having it when I was in 3rd, then twice in 4th, and once in 5th grade...I'm 32 now so I'm not sure exactly what to do about it! I would take him to his pediatrician and give your OB a call. They would know better than we would...unless an RN or Doc on here can inform us?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Look at the discharge notes they gave you from the ER. It will say if they thought he should be seen by his doctor and his diagnosis. They give you the paper to take home so you won't be confused.

You may have heard staff talking about something they were ruling out.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:58 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Are you pregnant now? If so, you need to call your OB if your son is diagnosed and let them know you have been exposed. There is a test they can give you to see if you are already immune (many people have been exposed before and are immune) - my SIL went through this when she was pregnant and worked in a daycare.
    It's very common in children, so it's nothing to worry about but you should definitely call his dr if you have any concerns. Our drs office has a "nurse line" - I'm assuming most peds do? - maybe you could call them and see what their recommendation is? (And if you are pregnant, make sure they know that too)

Answer by missanc at 10:59 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• my 11 yo had it when she was 3 1/2.. and you are correct it says not to be around pregnant woman, but the fact that the 'slapped cheeks' and the lacy rash comes after the cold symptoms are done, it is hard to know when they were first affected... but it is not a case of worry... if she seems aggravated by the rash, use some gentle lotion and/or tylenol for fever... it goes away in a week or so, and there is nothing to treat it, it is just a common cold virus, with an unusual name :) here's some facts on it...

5th disease

millerbunch

Answer by millerbunch at 11:04 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• UPDATE

ok so i called his dr office if he ahs it theres nouthing they can do. but i need to call my OB and talk to her and test my blood so see if i was immune to it or not and take steps from there.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 1:53 PM on Feb. 8, 2010