how can i get my 21 month old to stay in her bed?

i have a 21 month old and the doctor suggested getting her a toddler bed 3 months ago (she had been climbing out of her crib). she will not sleep in the bed. i have tried making it extra comfy, reading stories to her in the bed, letting her bring her baby doll to bed. she screams her head off and runs out of her room into my bed every night. this has now become a bad habit that i have no idea how to break. idk what to do. please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put up a baby gate in her doorway, follow your bedtime routine, tell her good night and then go away from the door.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Duct tape. Just kidding.

Obviously she isn't ready. It's not a habit that need to be broken. It's normal behavior for human children to sleep with their mothers. Throughout time and in most places in the world young children sleep with their mothers. Habit implies acquired abnormal behavior.

Doctors are not parenting experts. They may not have any training in parenting at all. I agree it's not safe to keep a toddler in a crib if the child can climb out.

I would let her sleep with me until she outgrows the need. Most adults don't sleep alone and don't want to sleep alone yet we expect babies and toddlers to do it. Others will tell you all kinds of ways to train her or let her cio. There are at least 2 moms that tell everyone to spank or pop toddlers for everything. Pop your toddler and put them in that bed. That is not humane.

People are more likely to let their dog sleep in their bed then their toddler.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:53 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Have you tried letting her pick out the sheets and bedding? A night light? We put the childproof door handle thing on to prevent dd from opening the door. She has music that plays all night and is allowed to play quietly until she falls asleep. I would keep your routine but sit with her longer while she sits/lays in the bed. I've had to explain every night that I can still hear dd and come in when she cries so she knows I haven't left. About your dds age Iwould have to rock her in my arms then lay her in bed, sit next to her and play with her hair until her eyes drooped. It takes time but she wil get it! Your going to spend a little more
    timegettong her to bed but in a couple mos it's no big deal!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:30 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I think she's too young for a toddler bed. What she was doing in climbing out of the crib is the same thing she's doing now by getting out of her new bed and screaming. It's all about controlling her own little universe and controlling you at the same time. Unless and until you start inflicting a little pain to her bare bottom, she will continue to have her way over yours. I would put her to bed tonight, asking her if she needs anything, making sure she has had water or whatever else you give her at bedtime. I would tell her one time that Mommy expects her to stay in her bed and to go to sleep. If she gets up even one time, she will be spanked. You have to make her feel the sting of her disobedience. If she gets up, you follow through and you put her back to bed with the same instructions. You repeat this until she sees that you mean what you say, and that she has to respect that. This works so well you will love it!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:43 PM on Feb. 8, 2010