Divorced, ex finally ready to provide health insurance for son after almost 12 years, would it be worth it???

It was written into my divorce that my ex was to provide coverage "if and when it became available through work". Apparantly, almost 12 yrs later, that has finally happened. Our son has been covered on my new husband's policy for the past 5 years. The premiums are for "family" so we pay the same if we cover everyone or just other 2 kids. Also, we live in PA and my ex lives in Arkansas. Based on all of this, I don't see the sense in ex paying for another policy and would rather work something out like increasing cs to cover us providing policy. He's still paying (when he pays) original cs amount, never increased, no visits or contact with son in 10 yrs, never provided health ins. or paid toward medical costs, has a tendency not to stay at a job for long, currently about 10 months in arrears etc. Has anyone else dealt with similar situation? Advice??

mystiquepa

Asked by mystiquepa at 11:50 AM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• i haven't dealt with it... but maybe his could be secondary coverage so you don't have to pay Co-pays while he is able to hold this job. that way if he does flake out like normal....then your son still has his original insurance. i dont know how the insurance companies would work together or if it would work....but i guess that is what i would try for. and the child support thing.....i dont know. if you think he should be paying more or less, then maybe look into it and see what it would/should be with you guys covering health insurance. the indiana calculators include info about who is paying for insurance and childcare....and also subsequent children.....i don't know if it would be worth it or not...but if you research those 2 things i would think you should know what you need/want to do. GOOD LUCK!
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:01 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I wouldn't change my insurance but I would get a CS review. You have a right to get a cost of living increase and if it hasn't changed in 10 yrs it needs to be updated. That would help toward your current insurance premiums.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2010