When did you take your baby's bottle away?

My son is 12 months and I think its time. I think that a bottle has become part of his morning nap routine. I give him a bottle at 1030 and then he starts winding down for his nap at 1100. He hasn't taken formula in a sippy. I give it to him and he doesn't drink it. Do you think I should give him his formula in a sippy and toss out the bottles (he'll get used to it) ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I took my son's away about 2 weeks before he turned 1. He would drink formula in a sippy though. I didn't stop that until he was 13 or 14 months old and did it cold turkey. My son did cry, but, he was fine after a night or two.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:01 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• MY son was 16 months. I wished I would have done it 1 month early when HE was less attached. For me, I would have done it forever, I loved that closeness since I couldn't BF
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:02 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I took away the bottle right when he turned one... I gave him formula mixed with whole milk in a sippy cup and he never seemed to care =] good luck!
    Amanda704

Answer by Amanda704 at 12:05 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• dd few days before her 1st bday . ds at 11mts
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:05 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I did it at 12 months. Just threw them away cold turkey. He didnt like the whole milk cold so I had to do it at room temp. and I used watered down juice.Took a few days to get use to it, but worked out fine
    Anonymous

• My dd was 8 mos when she started refusing the bottle yet she wouldn't take formula out of the sippy. She was 11.5 mos when i let her quit formula and I gave her liquid vitamins until she was 15 mos. Since your son is 12 mos I'd stop the bottle and formula and get the vitamins, but that's me personally!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:14 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I got rid of the bottle at 12 months with my daughter....and my son is only 8 months and i'm already starting to cut down the amount of bottles he has during the day. He usually has about 3 bottles a day. One in the morning, then he eats breakfast...then he has lunch then a bottle before nap time, then dinner, then a bottle before bed. Anyway, I think one year is defintely when you should take away the bottle.
    Anonymous

• around 1 my daughter was using a bottle at nap and before bed. i never took it away. she eventually was just fine with her cup. so it started with her ditching the bottle at nap. and then eventually bedtime. i never pushed it. i just offered the sippy cup instead. when she was first transitioning... if she wanted the bottle over sippy before her nap, i just gave it t her. i didnt see it as a big deal. and it wasnt worth the hassle of her being upset before nap. now she doesnt even think about the bottle, and she is 18 months.
    Anonymous

• Yes. Toss out the bottles and only give him sippy cups exclusively. He'll drink out of it when he gets thirsty. It might take him a couple days, or he might just give in right away. He'll get used to it either way..

My son was 11 months old when I introduced the sippy and he would just chew on it. He was just over a year when I get it to him throughout the day and a bottle at night. Then I just took the bottle away. He had trouble with it, because his sister was still using a bottle (She's now three months) But he got used to it and only tries to grab her bottle when he's tired, but is perfectly happy when we give him a sippy.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:38 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Our pediatrician said to try to be off the bottle by 18 months. We started introducing a sippy cup at 10 months, but my daughter was not interested. I tried to make the sippy cup look enticing, and I gave her the opportunity to switch on her own. Then at 15 months I just got rid of all the bottles and started giving her a sippy only. It took about 4 days, then life went on without bottles. The first two days were the worst. Then she got over it.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 12:43 PM on Feb. 8, 2010