Is it normal?

My husband and I have made a very final decision to homeschool our now 2yr old daughter through high school. My question is, is it normal for me to be nervous? To feel kind of lost? I mean as of right now I havent the slightest clue on where to start, when to start, what I need to start...I basically feel lost at the moment. Is this normal or could this mean that perhaps I should rething our decision? Please do not direct me to homeschooling groups, I am a member of quite a few, but the people in them are schooling older children and dont really remember enough to help me out this early in my journey.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• rethink* sorry.
    Anonymous

• I think its still really early for you to be making a decision.

she won't be school age (kindergarten) for 3 more years - a LOT can happen.

you can start now by teaching the basics - ABC, 123, shapes, colours.

Once upon a time long long ago I was going to, 3 years later whenmy oldest was ready for kindergarten - I couldn't wait for her to go to school, make friends, and learn all kinds of fun stuff in school and do all kinds of fun crafts and stuff.
    She also had 2 younger sisters that I would have had to try juggling at the same time.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:06 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Start out with the basics, colors, numbers, shapes, ABC's... Children learn quickly when they are young. You can look online for free printables to sit down with her and do. I know at 2 her attention span is short but little ones love the fat crayons and markers. Do a lot of research if you're serious about homeschooling. All of our boys are in public school but I wish I had kept them home until 7th grade... They love their school, and I don't have any problems but I would feel more confident about what they are learning outside of academics... So I get involved as much as I can at school, and I'm always asking about their friends, etc.. You have time to think it through, talk to other home schooling moms in your area. Also look into the public school in your area and weigh the pros and cons. Don't stress Momma, just being concerned means you're going in the right direction.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:10 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• It is a big step to take. When she is of the age to start kindergarten it is required to file with a formal, lagit home school orginization. You need to file with the state, so the state doesn't think you're keeping her from attending school. Go to your local government website and find out the regulations. (Michigan.gov for example) You should also contact local mom's who currently home school their children. This will help guide you in the right direction.

It's natural to be nervous, because it is a big task to take on. However, if you and DH have decided this is the right thing for your child then you're doing the right thing. Remember, to get her involved in local sports, cheerleading, mommy and me classes, or something. That way she will be able to build that social aspect with other children that is needed. Building social skills is important for home schoolers especially, because they don't get ineraction with peer.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:16 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I agree start with the basics, everyone does that . then when you are closer to school age make your final decision. Personally there is no way I could do it my children are advanced and I am not qualified to teach at the levels that my oldest is at.

I think waiting to make a final decision is a good idea, you just never know how your chid will develop. For now go buy fun workbooks and flash cards and have fun with it, thats what i did at this age :)
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:19 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Since she is only two years old you'll only need to start with the basics. Numbers, colors, counting to 10, animals, shapes, sounds, etc. As she gets older you can expand to learning facts about animals, counting to 20, then eventually 100, and even can start her early on adding and subtracting. I wouldn't start adding subtracting until 4 at the earliest though. You can even start teaching her how to tie her shoes. Children are very perceptive and catch on quick to things. You teach your child what you feel they'll most benefit from now. You teach them catered to how your child learns. That's the beauty of home schooling. Every child gets the devoted, specific attention they need.

The other beauty about home schooling is you can take them places that most parents have to wait until summer to do. The zoo on a Monday morning to learn about animals, the science museum on Tuesday to learn about science, etc.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• One more thing ... Make learning hands on, more then text book. I believe that children learn a lot faster and retain information a lot better when it's hands on. When they can make the science project to see how it works, when they see a cow up close, etc.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:28 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• oh my goodness if you weren't nervous then you be unusual. it is a big decision and a vital one to your daughter. how can you not wonder if you can do it. when i started out i felt like no one was giving me the direction i wanted or needed. i found the site homeschoolbooks.com
    very helpful. it gives the laws for each state and viewing and compparing cirriculum is easy. pm me if you want to talk more about it. i have been homeschooling for 8 years and would be glad to help in any way
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 12:32 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I have no experience in home schooling but I can see why you would have some anxiety. The nice thing is that you have time to get everything figured out. Start googling and see what you come up with. I teach classes at work and I get nervious and unsure what to do sometimes just because.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 12:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2010