My eleven year old cannot swallow a pill (aspirin, vitamin, etc.)? I've been working with her, but she's scared she's going to choke. What can I do???

danalee11

Asked by danalee11 at 12:05 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Crush it and put it in juice or get the liquid kind. She's a bit young to be swallowing pills isn't she?
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:07 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Crushing it into liquid isn't recommended. She's not too young to be swallowing pills. I don't see how imogine would figure she'd be too young. Anyhow.

Have her take a gulp of water, slip the pill in before she swallows and then swallow. It'll go down a lot easier then if she swallowed it and then drank water, or just took the pill dry.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:12 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• My 16 year old brother still can't swallow a pill. He just recently started just shoving it down his throat (literally) and then drinking water. Lol.
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 12:12 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• She isn't too young...my son started at 4 because he refused to swallow liquid medicine. LOL

Some people just can't do it. You mave have to stick with liquid always. They can and do make liquid of every medicine.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:16 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I can't swallow a pill (probably some mental thing but that's not important). The fact remains I have to get some pills down so I take them with food. I just took my pills today with rice. Sometimes it's with fruit. It goes down easier with wet food (jello, pudding, yogurt) but will go down with other foods too.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:16 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• have her take it with yogurt... or in liquid form.. its normal
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 12:17 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I have the hardest time swallowing pills. I won't take pills in front of anyone because half the time I end up gagging and have to spit it out and try again, lol! My mom used to crush them up for me in food. I don't think I really started swallowing them until I was 14 or 15.
    Anonymous

• My mom used to crush them up and give them to me in a spoonful of sugar. Not the healthiest thing in the world but it got the job done.
    coppersoul

Answer by coppersoul at 12:25 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• i started with cutting them in half i think when i was a kid. i always take a drink, then put the pill on the back of my tongue and take another drink. then i take another couple drinks after to make my throat feel cleared. I do know that there are some people who can't handle pills very well. Taking it in food is a GREAT idea!
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:26 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I sat at the table for 3 hours once because i couldnt swallow a pill i desperately needed to take for my stomach. i was SO scared because I had choked when i was 9 on a piece of candy. it was a tiny pill and before that i would crush them and pour whatever liquid i was taking it with into the spoon, take it then gulp the rest of whatever i was drinking, talk about nasty and just messy. i got sick of that and then finally durring that 3 hour sit in with my parents watching i got brave. but i had been practicing with little green beans, like the actual bean from inside the green bean. i used that because they were soft and i knew if i couldnt swallow it , then it was soft and wouldnt get stuck. it took practice but its such a mental thing that it has to be eased into. it worked for me...
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 12:39 PM on Feb. 8, 2010