How can I get a very distracted 3 year old girl potty trained?

She knows all about it,even picked out big girl panties.She just gets so into what she iss doing that she doesn't pay attention to going.She will even get herself so wet in her pull up that she wets her clothes& boo boo I usually know she went because I smell it,not her ttelling me.I am at my wits end on how to get her to pay attention to the feeling of having to go.Please HELP!!!!

bbwmommy

Asked by bbwmommy at 12:17 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• at this point you just have to make it worth her while. she knows what to do. she just isn't so if she wets herself put her back into her pjs and she can't go out or to the park or anything cause she isn't dressed. if she looses some outings she loves then she will decided it is worth her while to pay attention. for one of my kids it was getting the mail. he loved goin out with me to get the mail when i didn't let him cause he wasn't dressed because he wet himself it only took about two days for him to stay dry.
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 12:40 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I would lose the pull-ups. For awhile you can help her stay dry by taking her to the potty periodically... maybe that will help her get used to feeling dry. Then you need to let her know she's responsible for getting herself there. Have her "help" clean up her mess, offer a small reward for a day with no accidents, and if she's still too distracted, you can try taking away whatever she was distracted with (a dvd, a dollhouse) until she can have 3 days dry, something like that.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:45 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• By the way, if you do take her to the potty, it shouldn't be "do you need to go potty?" because they ALWAYS say no, even while squirming to hold their bladders (lol). Instead, just be firm: "Time to go potty" and don't take no for an answer.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:46 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Make a routine. For example. When she wakes up in the morning take her to the bathroom. Sit her down on the toilet and give her a book to look at. After breakfast, take her to the bathroom again and give her a book to look at. She'll be distracted by the book that she'll relax and go to the bathroom. I would think.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:46 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Thanks ladies these are all excellent ideas.I was thinking of trying to just put her in her panties and tell her she needs to stay dry I think I will start that today.Keep the advice coming I can use them all:)
    bbwmommy

Answer by bbwmommy at 12:49 PM on Feb. 8, 2010