So, I would like to plan a trip to Central America for the summer of 2011...but there's just one problem....I know NOTHING about international travel! Can someone give me some tips and advice??

I'm a college student and would like to plan a trip with some friends to Central and Latin American for next summer but none of us know a thing about traveling internationally. We do speak Spanish though :P

So can anyone tell me what steps I should take to prepare? I know it's a long time away but I want to start getting ready now so that I'm not rushing...I'll be pretty busy with school for most of the year and I'm afraid I'll get distracted and not be able to make it!

Thankss

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Travel

• well get a us passport if you are a us citezen. i say study about the country you paln to visit. buy tickets 6 mts befire trip so they are cheaper. am going to clombia this year but ma form tehre,. am going to visit my mom. i havent beem to my home country in 13 yrs
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:26 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• If you give me a holler, I can connect you to my mother who knows a lot about that. She's been to south America 7 or 8 times!
    Ann_Ony_Mouse

Answer by Ann_Ony_Mouse at 12:28 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Go ahead and get your passport now. Then like the first poster said, study about the countries you want to visit. Find out their customs, their laws, etc so you don't get in trouble while you are there lol. Then figure out exactly what you want to do and see while you are there so you have some sort of plan and aren't going to waste your time when you get there trying to figure out what you want to do.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:36 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Start with a passport. Then find out what kind of visa you will need for the countries you want to visit. If you don't live in a city with an embassy, you will have to send your passport off to get a visa if they require one to enter the country. I had to mail my passport to San Francisco to get a visa for Brazil.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 5:26 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I visit Mexico City at least annually and have been to Guatemala. I would recommend that you take a crash course on the language (Rosetta Stone is good). Being able to talk a little really helps. Get a guidebook and plan your trip. Take only what you need and carry a backpack. Beware when you are walking around the city, keep the pack to your front or people whill help themseles to your items (a fanny pack is best). When you arrive, take your luggage to the hotel or place you are staying. We didn't and had all our stuff stolen. Do not eat food from street vendors - they use contaminated water and don't wash their hands. Take your own toilet paper because it will cost you in bathrooms. If you use travelers checks, you will need to have your passport to get $ at the exchange. Be careful when walking, cars will not stop for you. Beware of taxi drivers, they like to take you to the wrong places.
    sonnalynn

Answer by sonnalynn at 12:05 AM on Feb. 9, 2010