so tired of hearing parents of 3 or 4 year-olds complain that their kids aren't responding to potty training!!!

Seriously, waiting until kids walk right up to their parents and say, "Hey, I'm done wearing diapers, I think I'll start using the toilet now" at age 3 or 4 is not effective. While this occasionally can work, most kids never get to this point... instead, they get used to sitting in their own filth and develop all sorts of resistances to training that would not have been there between 18 and 26 months. I'm an early child educator, and I'm so sick of seeing parents waiting for their parents to "choose" toilet learning when they've missed all sorts of chances to teach them to use the toilet. Contrary to overwhelmingly popular belief, the kids I see who trained younger learn more quickly and more easily and stay trained! If you have a one or two year old and you're waiting for age 3 or 4, I'd say get started. Take a look at the preschool question group if you need to be convinced how many 3 and 4 year olds still aren't "ready"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is there a question in here somewhere? Maybe "How obnoxious can you be?"
    Anonymous

• Where's the question? That's more of a vent.... But I tend to agree with you. My first daughter trained at 19 months, and my second will be training in a month at 18 months (she already poops on the potty, but in a month is when we'll take away the diapers). There was actually an interesting article on this recently; check it out: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kirsten-dirksen/who-decides-when-to-potty_b_265227.html
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:36 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I agree with you. I've raised 3 children and am now helping raise my 5(soon to be 6) grandchildren, and toilet training did not use to be much of a problem at all. It was nearly always started and completed by around the age of two and it proved difficult only with the more strong-willed children. There may not be a connection at all, but it seems to me that this occurred simultaneously with the new ideas about discipline and how we could not spank our children. We spanked ours, and by the time we told them it was time to start using the potty instead of their drawers, they believed us and thought we actually meant that it was time! So we sat them on the potty and they used it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:37 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• ha ha! To an extent this is so true. I think every kid is different. My SS didn't get potty trained until after he was 3 when I helped him. It only took like a week and he was pretty well done. So, for him, I just don't think he was ready before. Its VERY probable his mom missed earlier opportunities, but we didn't have any trouble.

my DD is 19 months. she is ready to start training now. I just need to get ready. lol. But I am not expecting miracles. I am hoping it will go quick....but you just never know....
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:40 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• My kids trained early but we didn't bully or spank them. We were just consistent and clear about what was expected of them and they learned just fine. A friend of mine has a 4 year old still in diapers and a 3 year old who has had to go to the pediatrician because he holds his poop for days.
    Anonymous

• Then stop reading posts or talking to other parents. Sorry if someone's parenting is inconvenient for you.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 12:44 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I agree. Someone asked us recently how to keep their 3 year old from soiling their underwear. The child, who was bragged upon repeatedly to us about their ability to speak in complete sentences by 18 months, peeing in the toilet by 2 years, etc. and was doing so much better than our child, poops their pants and tries to hide it by putting on more clothes. But then again the parents are busy traveling the country and buying things to toilet train. Yes, every child is different by really, by the time a child is walking and talking, it's time to throw out the diapers.
    Anonymous

• I wholeheartedly agree

my 3 year old (youngest of 4) was trained, then we went camping with a family who had a 4year old who WASN'T potty trained.

well mine saw that and decided that if SHE didn't have to then I don't have to. and QUIT USING THE POTTY! it took another 6 months to get her to go again.

potty train your freakin KIDS! get off your butt and do something! they won't do it themselves!
    Anonymous

• i pottytrain dd by 2 yrs old,. it wasnt ahr for me. my dd was ready at 18mts,. and to her no using a diaper was the day she became a big girl!! and she was so proud of herself. we ddi rewards and stickkers. and when she was fully potty train we bought her a gift.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:57 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Amen sister!!!!! I couldn't agree more! It is the most ridiculous concept to me to wait until your child wants to potty train??? I don't get it and frankly a 4 year old in diapers....Gross!!! Not to mention that it's much easier to train when they are younger. I think it's parents being lazy IMO, they don't want to clean up accidents and worry about going out in public.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 1:04 PM on Feb. 8, 2010