How can you tell if your baby has an ear infection? do they have fever?

reggiboo

Asked by reggiboo at 12:41 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my ds had 11 infections before we got tubes and he never had a fever
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• they can but do not have to have a fever. sometimes they will rub or pull at the infected eat pthers will turn their head to one side all the time.
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 12:49 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Some kids do, none of mine ever did. The only indication we'd ever have was trouble sleeping at night, waking up crying, not taking good naps, etc. After a few days of that they'd get a yucky nose & start coughing. Never ran a fever (but then again, they didn't run a fever with RSV or pneumonia either, my kids are just weird, lol).
    Anonymous

• My ds had his first ear infection that I know of at a year. I only took him to the doctor because his cold got really bad and he was spitting up a lot of mucus. Here he had a double ear infection. He never pulled at his ears and never had a fever. He is 3 now, has never had a fever with any ear infection and just about 2 months ago was the first time he told me that his ear hurt when he had one. He has only had about 4 or 5.
    Anonymous

• My daughter always gets a fever at some point with her ear infections. She's had 4 or 5 already... other symptoms are runny nose (yellow) that won't go away, tugging at ear, crankiness...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:16 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• we just found out my son has one - he had no fever, has been congested and was pulling on his ear, but he's also got a tooth coming in, so we didn't know. he also has pink eye right now :(
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 2:24 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• They may or may not have a fever. Tugging on the ear or crankiness could be signs...but it is just as likely that he is teething. If it makes you feel any better...newer research is showing that ear infections 9 times out of 10 will clear up on their own with no treatment and that it is better for kids in the long run to not go on so many courses of antibiotics during childhood. So, if you're on the fence about whether to go to the doctor or not....its okay to wait it out. See what develops...if a fever comes, I'd say head to the doctor, but if no fever and it doesn't seem to be bothering your child (a ton anyway) then let it run its course. Regardless...you always have to balance the treatment of the current illness with the risk of catching something else in the waiting room at the doctor's office.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:51 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• My son has had 4 ear infections so far. He doesn't cry or have a fever he just digs in his ear.
    NotVeryClever

Answer by NotVeryClever at 6:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2010