Am i the only mom that is having such a hard time getting rid of lice. I feel like a terrible mother.

shorty00207450

Asked by shorty00207450 at 1:11 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• what methods have you tried?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:13 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• when my niece was 3 or 4 I swear she had it off and on for like 1-2 years.. it was insane ~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:13 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I used this nix which didnt really work and i found this lice gel and it works better and she is free for a little bit and now here it goes angain. and i clean my house. Im not a dirty person but im not the cleanest if you know what i mean but i clean and they still come back.
    shorty00207450

Answer by shorty00207450 at 1:17 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• It takes a few tries. When my kids had it, I used every method possible, but they still had nits in their hair for a few months after the treatments and cleaning. But no, you are not a bad mother. Kids get lice. Just remember they had to get it from somewhere.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:20 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Try tea tree oil. And no you're not a terrible mother!! If it's a boy, you can shave his head. There's some kind of comb that you can buy that "zaps" the lice and kills it, but I don't know how effective it is.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:26 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• If you are not treating everything and everyone in the house it can re-infest. Wash her hair with the shampoos, wash her clothes, jackets, hats everything that comes in contact with her. That includes hairbrushes, hair bows etc.. Comb the nits out and vacum the furniture, carpets etc.. Stuffed animals or things that cant be washed and dryed should be put in plastic bags for 2 weeks. In 7 to 10 days re treat her again and everything in the house again because the shampoos etc do not kill the nits. Dont forget to treat the car if it is cloth. To be safe you can retreat in another 7-10 days just in case any nits were left. If she is spending the night with people don't let her go because she could be getting them from that child. Talk to the school nurse to check all the kids in her class if she is in school. She could be getting them again from their.. Yes, it is a pain, NO you are not a bad mom and lice dont like dirty.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• cont.. so you are not a dirty person.. Lice likes a clean host. I have heard that gels and hair spray can keep them away once you get rid of them but I am not sure if that part is true... Good luck mom, it is hard...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:34 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Use rid. You need to wash everything in hot water from the bedsheets, pillow cases, stuffed animals, etc. Clear everything off the bed and use a vacuum to the mattress. Also vacuum all carpet. It maybe that one stuffed animal or something in your home has the lice which continue to spread.
    Anonymous

• Here's what I did and it worked the first time. I treated everyone. But with my daughter I did it a second time because the instructions said to.
    First: Lice lay eggs. The eggs hatch. It takes 7 days for those lice to be capable of laying eggs. So you have to treat every 6 days. Got that?
    Ok....

FIRST:
    Wash hair twice with PRELL SHAMPOO. Prell is a detergent shampoo. It strips the hair of conditioners and oils. (Don't worry!)

SECOND:
    Rinse with WHITE VINEGAR. COVER THE EYES!! Vinegar eats the glue that holds the nits to the hair follicle.
    Rinse with water after.

THIRD: Damp dry the hair with a towel. Comb thoroughly and remove any nits or lice you see. Put them in a cup of alcohol to kill them.

FOURTH: Apply EQUATE MILD FACIAL CLEANSER to the hair....make sure it completely coats each hair from the scalp to the end. YOU MUST BE COMPLETELY THOROUGH.

FIFTH: DRY HAIR WITH THE FACIAL CLEA
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 1:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• FIFTH: DRY HAIR WITH CLEANER ON IT. IT MUST BE BONE DRY. PUT SHOWER CAP ON HAIR AND LEAVE ON OVERNIGHT.

SIXTH: Next day shower. Just wash the soap out. It will amaze you how clean the head is. :)

SEVENTH: Rinse hair everyday with vinegar and check for nits.

Repeat this in 6 days.

I did this for every member of my family. My daughter twice, but I didn't see any nits on her the 6th day. I washed everything. But, I am not a clean freak.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 1:50 PM on Feb. 8, 2010