my troubled dates.....

ok i have never done this befor but here gose this is my second preg. i have a daughter that is about to turn 5 in march. i found out in dec. that i am preg. but my last period was nov.2-9 2009. the last time i know i for sure i had sex would have been halloween. but my first ulrta sound on dec.19th was a vaginal and the tech said she didnt see anything at all. i would have been 2 days away from 6 weeks. well i went and had another u.s. done on the 16 of jan. i would have been 10 weeks by period. the baby only measured 7 weeks 5days. my next u.s. was feb.2nd 2010 and the baby measured 10 weeks 2 days i should have been 12 weeks. my boyfriend went to jail on the 9th of nov. he was in there untill the 3rd of dec.we had sex that same day. i did not have sex the whole time he was in jail. i am almost certain i got preg on dec.3rd but the baby still meassures a week bigger if thats the case i need advice PLEASE!!??thanks

popitgirl2007

Asked by popitgirl2007 at 1:45 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Ultrasounds aren't 100% accurate and every ultrasound you will have will measure slightly differently...babies have growth spurts even in the womb. But the first early ultrasounds tend to be the most accurate rather than later ultrasounds. But if you had sex on December 3rd and on February 2nd the U/s measured at 10 weeks that's pretty close...it's only about a week ahead but you have to understand that when you have sex it can take up to 5 days for the sperm to reach and penetrate the egg, so the u/s can actually be DEAD ON accurate
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:07 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Ultra sounds can be off by 2 weeks either side of the date it's given you.

Also sperm can live inside you for up to 7 days with an average of 3-5 days so just because you had sex of the 3rd doesn't mean you concieved on the 3rd.

The sperm may have not fertilized the egg until the 10th and then the egg wouldn't have implanted for another 2-5 days after that.

You baby will come when he or she is ready to come. It doesn't really matter when you concieved.
    Anonymous

• it's normal to measure "off" by a bit. what i would do is just refuse to get induced ever and then you don't really have to worry about your dates. =) you will go into labor when baby is ready most likely. i know it's frustrating to not know when to expect your baby but it really is like that for everyone. even if they only had sex on one day in the entire year! there is still like a 6 week window when their baby could come, so you really aren't alone. like me, my EDD is june 26, but i know it could be anywhere from june 4 to july 10. i wish i knew exactly when it would happen but that's just the way pregnancy is :) congrats!
    Anonymous