What do you look for in a quality area rug?

I'm looking for an area rug but there are just so many options out there. What do you look for in a quality area rug? What about a quality rug pad?

legalmommy101

Asked by legalmommy101 at 2:04 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Honestly...I go for one that looks nice and matches my things. I just recently bought one from Montgomery ward.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 2:06 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Look at the content. Wool, cotton, synthetic. Look at the back of the rug. How are the fibers joined to the backing? Quality rugs you can see the latch hooking...either by hand or machine. You can also see if the fibers have a glue on them to hold them in place. Quality rugs cost quite a bit.
    Anonymous

• That's good advice from anon :09. Wool is the best quality material for rugs. Nylon is pretty good too. Both are more luxurious feeling fibers and are far more resilient (meaning they won't flatten out permanently) than most other materials. Olefin or polypropolene are fairly common and inexpensive, but will wear very quickly and look old a lot faster, which is fine if you like to replace your rugs every couple of years. So really, it depends on what the rug's purpose and how long you intend to have it to determine what is going to be the best fit for your household.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:47 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• PS--Felt pad is really nice under a rug.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:30 PM on Feb. 9, 2010