how can i get my 1 month old to sleep at night?

my one month old will not go to sleep at night. she wakes up around 10pm, i feed her, change her diaper, and then i will rock her to sleep. the thing is once i lay her down she wakes right back up and starts crying. i pick her up and rock her back to sleep then lay her back down. she wakes up again and this same routine goes on until about 6am. i do not know what to do. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She's a newborn. It will get better. You have to wait it out. I would nurse her in my bed, that way you could doze.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:24 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• It could be the transition from your warm arms to a cold crib. You could try laying a heating pad in her crib in the spot where you plan to lay her - although NEVER forget to pick the heating pad up before you lay her down! Also, we always used a very small blanket that I wore underneath my shirt during the day to tuck into bed with them - a tshirt of yours would work too for your smell. And then we had a "heartbeat" bear that mimics the sound of a heartbeat and is activated by sound or movement, although a white noise machine would probably work as well.
    She will probably still wake up multiple times at night, she's a baby and they do that. Is she sleeping during the day? It may be that you need to wake her up every few hours during the day at least to feed her so she can get more of her caloric needs in during the day rather than at night.

Answer by missanc at 2:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• It might be a burping issue. When babies get bubbles trapped in their tummies it can cause pain that is especially apparent when they're laying flat. Make sure you are burping her well after a feeding and don't lay her down until you've gotten a good burp out of her. If that doesn't work, putting baby to sleep on an incline (bouncer, swing, pillow under one side of the mattress to create an incline). It could also be that your baby sleeps best with movement...try a swing. My son is 2.5 mo. and will only sleep in a swing. He's a motion baby. I'll have to ween him off of it at some point, but for now, he's sleeping and in the beginning you're in survival mode and you have to do what works. My swing has a timer on it so I've started setting the timer when I put him in, so it automatically shuts off after 30 minutes so he isn't swinging all night. Also, do you swaddle your baby? It can really help!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:40 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• if she slepping more then 5 hrs staright she is sleeping thru the nite
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:59 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Newborns do this....it WILL pass. You can try everything suggested above...but don't be surprised if she STILL doesn't sleep. Their tummies are tiny and need constant refilling.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:12 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• At that age my son would do the same thing. I could never get him to sleep on his own. I would really sugest cosleeping for a few months. After that my son did have a much easier time sleeping on his own and it made those first few months much more bearable.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 4:36 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• You have a normal baby.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:25 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Do you know any 1 month olds that sleep through the night? I don't ... if you think there's something wrong with the baby (in pain or sick) that's a different story. Babies with reflux don't like to be laying on their backs....do you swaddle? That might help. My dd is 8 months old and doesn't even come close to sleeping through the night.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 8:56 PM on Feb. 8, 2010