Montessori pre-schools: Whats the hype about this kind of education

I am trying to enrol my kid in a preschool, shes 2 1/2 and very smart! :) Anyway, most of the moms in my area have their kids in montessori schools rather than the traditional kindercare-type preschools. I was hoping someone would be able to give me some information about the benefits of this kind of education. I was a well-rounded toddler and would hate if she wasnt getting any kind of benefit from this.

Thank you!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Google Maria Montessori. It is a really long explanation. Great schooling. :)
    Anonymous

• do your research, it is not for everyone, and not well suited for all kids
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:20 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• The montessori method is the kind where they go at their own pace. I particularly do not care for it, they do not grade and there is no incentive to compete. They do not grade so there is no grade point average. I assume it is ok for pre k but anything after that it is my opinion to be unwise, since colleges do not go for this kind of method. I have known children that have gone throughout highschool in this method and when left for colllege are completely lost. I do not care for it one bit, but then again that is my opinion. My girls went to one during prek and nothing much was accomplished.

Answer by older at 2:20 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Since a 2.5 year old would get most benefit from home I would suggest a Montessori school to be the next best place. I don't understand this misconception that young toddlers have to be in preschool at age 2 to be wellrounded or socialized. Sitting in a room all day is not well rounded. Taking her to the aquarium, zoo, baby book time, park are some great ways for her to explore the world and learn.

The kindercare places are daycares and I don't see how she would be getting any benefit if she does not have to be there. Being with you and being involved with different activites like I mentioned above is a much better choice. Really she is going to learn more with you and being able to freely explore her world.

Anonymous

• My son is three and has attended since he was one. Montessori is NOT daycare. In fact, I can't get a child care deduction from my taxes because it is SCHOOL not daycare. The hype depends on the school. There are two schools in my area that are both Montessori. One follows the Montessori method to the letter while the other only loosely follows it. My son attends the Montessori school that strictly adheres to the methods of Maria Montessori. I love the environment of his school. Calming, organized, everything my son can touch and work on. The materials are deliberately chosen to maximize learning step by step in the Montessori process. For example: those sticks on a board will ultimately teach a child how to slowly write and correctly hold a pencil. The sticks are thick at first and then slowly get thinner so it is like a pencil. But it is gradual. Every item has a purpose.  The teachers are all certified by the state. 

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:17 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• He has 12 kids in his class. Six are preschool and six are in kindergarden. The advantage is my three year old is working on some kindergarden level work. And loving it. My son gets to work at his pace in a supportive environment. He gets yoga, science, languages, P.E., music, drama, and all the regular classes and things you would expect in a school. His teachers never yell and there is rarely a need for punishments. Children learn to resolve their own issues with each other with compassionate words....there is so much more. Am I sold on Montesorri? Yes. I hesitate to transfer to a public school. I actually would prefer to home school rather than send him to a public school. I could not repeat the benefits he has at school at home. Not unless I'm willing to spend a couple hundred thousand on materials and invite all his friends over each day. In that case, I might as well open up my own school.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:27 AM on Feb. 9, 2010