Do you regret having more than 1 child?

My son is almost 2 years old. I have wanted to start trying for another baby for over a year now. It took me 5 months to convince my husband. I also have to see a fertility specialist, so it makes things a little more complicated. I got pregnant and I lost the baby. It was devastating. So now I am able to go back and start trying again but my husband has changed his mind again. He says he only wants one. Sometimes I think the same thing, our son is getting older and easier to handle, do we want to go through the baby stage again? But then I think about how lonely he will be growing up and even as an adult to not having siblings would stink. So my question is, for those that have more than 1, do you regret it? Do you wish you'd stuck with just 1. Did you feel the way we feel before you tried for 2? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• I've got three and couldn't be happier.

its crazy and chaotic (compared to a few of our friends with only one) - there's always noise, and something happening.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:32 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• No, I don't regret having two. There is 5 years between my children and my older child was so lonely before his brother came along. I honestly never imagined raising two boys but I wouldn't have it any other way. There was 5 years between my middle brother and I and before he came along I was pretty lonely as well. Sometimes it was a pain in the ass having younger siblings but now that we are all grown we are best friends and I'm so glad that I have siblings.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 2:34 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I have three, and the only thing I regret is not having had more.. One is selfish, everyone should have a sibling, at least one.

Answer by older at 2:35 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• No one can tell you what is best for YOU.

Im not even going to tell you how many I have... because what we did was choose what was best for us.... and that is what you must do.

I have friends with 5 kids, and friends with 1 kid.... and all are VERY very happy....... because it was the perfect number for thier family.

Anonymous

• Never. I wanted to have my kids close in age. My brother and I are 4 years apart..he's older...but idk what I would do if I didn't have a sibling. We were very close growing up. We sarted trying for baby #2 a month after my DD turned 1yr. I absolutely LOVE having two. And in like 5 years...we will try for number 3 and that will be that. So DD is 2 now and DS is 8 months...and in 5 years when we start trying for #3 DD will be 7- almost 8yrs when baby comes, and DS will be 5.
    Anonymous

• My son is 6 months old and my daughter is 5 and I did go thru the can I love him as much as I do and guess what absolutely. Granted life was easier with one BUT I can imagine just having one. I wouldn't mind having a third but I'm perfectly content with two.
    jazzysmommy1004

Answer by jazzysmommy1004 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• happy mom to 4 here.... But no-one can tell you what's right for you, why not just wait a little, your son is only two, there is no perfect number, no perfect age gap, its hard work no matter how many kids you have
    Good luck
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 2:49 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• i absolutely regret it but i can say that because my second child died. (genetic kidney disease) it wasnt worth it to me.. and the whole time before i wanted to TTC i was completely 100% telling everyone -- i only want one child... then i flipped on that and wanted more... I should have stuck with one... listen to your heart. because the whole time i was TTC and pregs i knew something was wrong (no symptoms but just a feeling that something bad was going to happen.) Follow Your Heart!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:13 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• No way. I worried that I couldn't love another child as much as I loved my first, but boy was I wrong. I don't play favorites, but I have to say that my second child and I have an incredible bond. He and I are very close and I can't even describe it, but it's something that I only have with him. I can't imagine my life without him.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:41 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• i have never regretted having any of my children. i did hear a teacher who was an only child say that having one child is the cruelest thing a parent can do. if you are having problems with conception, maybe that is a sign?
    good luck to you and your family!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:45 PM on Feb. 8, 2010