baby sleeping too much?

my baby is just a lil over 1 week old. shes been sleeping for almost 5 hours now. she sleeps a lot but can i wake her up or do i just let her keep sleeping. whats the best thing to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Unless she's not weting or hasn't passed the meconium, let her be and catch a nap yourself.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:11 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Most people will tell you to let her sleep. I always woke mine up every 3 hours during the day to eat and then let them sleep as long as they would during the night. I preferred for them to get their long stretches of sleep at night when I did, which meant they needed to get most of their calories in during the day as well.

Answer by missanc at 2:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• My philosophy is to never wake a sleeping baby. An overly tired baby is not someone you want to be around and an overly tired baby will never sleep well at night...its best to let her sleep and get some rest while you can. Newborns sleep A LOT! All babies sleep a lot. My daughter slept 11-12 hours at night and took 2 2 hour naps during the day until she was 16 mo. when she dropped the second nap.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:03 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• my baby is 3 mo and has never slept that long, lucky!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:54 PM on Feb. 8, 2010