After a back surgery and D&C, work is asking when will I return...

2 weeks ago I had emergency back surgery, and lost my baby ( i was 13 weeks). I can't drive, and barely have feeling back in my legs due to the back surgery. I will be out of work for at least a month or 2. Can work lay me off or fire me because I can't get to work?? Does anyone know what my rights are? or maybe where I can find out informataion.....

roxie23900

Asked by roxie23900 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• Have you given work any note from a doctor saying you are unable to work until XX day and then when able to return listing any restrictions (such as lifting restrictions)? I know when I worked as a cashier I NEEDED a note from a doctor when I was injured in order to not only get disability pay but to excuse my absence from work until I was seen fit to return to duty.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:12 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• you may qualify for FMLA depending on the size of your company and how long you have been there.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• it depends on how long you have been working there and how large of a company it is.

the best advice I can give you is to contact your local labor board, they will know the exact answers for your situation and local laws.
    Anonymous

• It seems like you should be eligible for short term disability.
    MamaCarterof5

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 6:59 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Probably but there are to many variables (some already mentioned here) to know for sure. They can't fire you but they can lay you
    off. You should be able to get unemployment though.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:28 AM on Feb. 9, 2010