Atheists

I am curious
- Do you consider yourself spiritual at all
-Do you practice meditation or other
-Do you celebrate holidays as any other religion
-What do you or will you tell your children when they ask about religions
Thanks

aidensmyangel

Asked by aidensmyangel at 2:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Spiritual- no, not in any conventional sense. My mind is my spirit, and doing things such are listening to music, reading, having a stimulating conversation- they would all count as meditation, devotion, etc.

we celebrate family holidays, and have many religions mixed into our little clan- though I celebrate not for religion, but for family socialization.

I answer to the best of my knowledge regarding that religion, and look things up as needed. Concerning my own, I simply say that I believe in things that are real, that I can see and touch.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:50 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Nope, I don't consider myself spiritual at all. I pretty much base my life on logic and facts.... I don't practice meditation, either. As for holidays, I celebrate Christmas, because to me it really has nothing to do with religion. It's all about family, togetherness, and good food, heh. Other than that, I don't celebrate any "religious" holidays. Unless maybe you consider Halloween one, heh. As for what I will tell my children, I have every intention of letting them explore whatever religion they want, they're free to make up their own minds.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:51 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I don't think I'm spiritual, not that I can't see the beauty in the world around me. But I look at things much more logically. I don't meditate. We celebrate Christmas and Easter since I was raised Christian (I guess--religion was never a big part of my childhood other then the 13 years of Catholic school because of the better education it offered). Our celebrations are completely secular, though.
    As for the kids. They go to a Catholic school right now so they've learned all about Jesus and god and stuff but they know I don't believe (neither does Daddy or Papa). For the most part they haven't asked any questions. It just doesn't come up unless they are studying for a religion test.
    The other day we were talking about moving out of this city and my son (8) was worried about having to change schools but then realized he would be going to PS and wouldn't have to go to church anymore, lol. He was cool with that.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:06 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• No, I don't really consider myself spiritual, and I do not practice meditation (I find it boring.) We celebrate most of the nationally recognized holidays, but we have secular celebrations that don't involve religion. I recently had a conversation with my son when he pointed to a church and asked what kind of building it was. I told him it was a place where people go to pray and worship god. He then asked who is god. I told him that god is a very complex idea created by man to try and explain the origin and meaning of life, and that some people believe that everyone and everything was created by god. But I don't believe that, and in fact I don't believe that there is a god. He asked why not, and I said because I see no evidence of it being true. (my son was 5 when we had this conversation.) He hasn't really asked any more questions, but I home-school and we will be learning about all major religions and beliefs in our studies.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 3:07 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• My son has also asked about angels. I told him that some people believe angels are supernatural beings that come down to help those in need, but that I don't believe angels exist at all. He said, you don't believe because you haven't seen any evidence? And I said that's right. He said, he believes angels exist, and I said that was fine if he wanted believe in them. I'm not trying to stifle his spiritual growth, I'm just giving him my honest opinions, and trying to educate him on what others think, so that he can better make up his own mind.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 3:13 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Do you consider yourself spiritual at all - NOPE, NOT ONE TINY BIT.

Do you practice meditation or other - NOPE, BUT HAVE TRIED IN THE PAST AND DIDN'T GET VERY FAR.

Do you celebrate holidays as any other religion - YES... MINUS THE WORHSIPPING OF DEITIES PART. IT'S MORE OF A FAMILY TIME THING FOR ME.

What do you or will you tell your children when they ask about religions- MY CHILDREN ARE FORCED TO ATTEND CHURCH WITH MY CHRISTIAN HUSBAND, ALTHOUGH MY OLDEST IS AN ATHEIST LIKE ME. THEY ARE EXPOSED TO RELIGION WEEKLY WHETHER I APPROVE OF IT OR NOT. I DO HOWEVER, TALK WITH THEM AND LET THEM KNOW NOT TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING THEY HEAR THERE AND FOR THEM TO EDUCATE THEMLSEVES AS THEY GROW UP AND MAKE THER OWN DECISION CONCERNING GOD WHEN THEY ARE ADULTS- IN OTHER WORDS.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 4:06 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I do consider myself spiritual, but spiritual doesn't have to include any kind of religious undertone. When I say spiritual, I mean that I feel an extreme amount of peace and tranquility being in nature, and when with my family. I feel an intense amount of gratitude for that which I worked so hard for, and appreciate every single moment of it. I feel at "One" with all that is around me, and those in my life.
    -I don't pruposely meditate, but I find myself doing specific things when I feel myself out of balance and I am getting stressed. Lighting my candles, turning off all of my lights, and listening to some calm music always "rights" my inner sense of well being.
    -Yes we celebrate holidays...but for our own reasons. Nothing religiously connected.
    -I explain to my kids that many people have many beliefs. And I have explained about God and church. As they ask, I answer honestly.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:45 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• - Do you consider yourself spiritual at all Yes
    -Do you practice meditation or other Sometimes
    -Do you celebrate holidays as any other religion The secular aspects. Not religious ones obviously
    -What do you or will you tell your children when they ask about religions Let's go look it up on religioustolerance.org. the info. is unbiased that way
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:49 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• - Do you consider yourself spiritual at all>>>>>>>>>> Yes, it's why I call myself a spritiual atheist.
    -Do you practice meditation or other>>>>>>>>>>>>> Yes
    -Do you celebrate holidays as any other religion>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Yes, but more as a cultural and family celebration than from a religious stand point.
    -What do you or will you tell your children when they ask about religions>>>>>>>> Tell them about the different religions, have then talk with people from that religion, etc. Knowledge is very important to me. I wouldn't hold my child back from learning of other religions or cultures. THAT would be ignorant of me.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:00 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Do you consider yourself spiritual at all - Absolutely

Do you practice meditation or other - Yes

Do you celebrate holidays as any other religion - Some but not in a big way.

What do you or will you tell your children when they ask about religions-My children are grown and following their path, but I encourage my grandchildren to find their own personal path and to ask questions about any religious practice they don't understand.

witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:28 PM on Feb. 8, 2010