Gardening As Spiritual Exercise

As a Pagan this is blatantly obvious. Gardening is, for me, working with the Great Mother, the Goddess Mother Earth, to bring forth her bounty for the feed my family. (In exchange, I give back to Her in the form of compost!)

But then I got this FB invite from and organic farm nearby. (link below) It is for "Gardening As Spiritual Exercise" and was surprised to find it was Christian in nature. I had not idea there were Christians who thought this way.

My Questions:
What, if any, is your religious attitude toward gardening/farming?
Do you see gardening/farming as a "Spiritual Exercise"?
Would you attend such an event? even if you were of a different faith?

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=295896281699

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 2:58 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:58 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I'm Christian, and I see gardening as a bit of spiritual experience. Not so much the weeding :)...

but like you said there is an aspect of that relationship with God in helping things grow. You know for us, some of our earliest scriptures in Genesis (chapter 2) start with God planting a garden (Eden), and then telling Adam and Eve to tend it.
    Anonymous

• i am a christian, and i love getting my hands in the earth in the springtime! i have always thought it to be spiritual. never thought of it being christian or pagan or jewish, just always enjoy it!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• i'm not sure i regard gardening as a spiritual or religious task...and by that, i don't mean it to be something that has to be done, although it can be a lot of work! for me, if i was speculating its importance in my life (not just as an xtian, but as me), it might be 'spiritual', seeing that it has always been very therapeutic, calming, and rewarding to get my hands dirty and help create beauty, in all its natural usefulness. i'm not a garderner for food...as some foodies would discount us 'flowering' garderners..but the same techniques, knowledge, satisfaction and love come from both.
    for me, the seasons bring such different 'faces' to the earth, (i probably could be pagan...lol!) each with their own attributes, positive and negative.
    i would attend such a local event as the FB, if my personal time/schedule permitted. in fact, we have a 'mother's earth community garden' in town, and its great to meet fellow gardeners.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 3:54 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• As a Christian, when I learned about the Fibonacci sequence I really became in tune with gardening. It became a spiritual experience when I could actually see a thoughtful creation behind each plant. :)
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 3:59 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I can see the connection to Christianity the same as with Pagan.
    God made the dirt, actually the first thing after light and dark. So if you look at it as God created all of nature too, I can totally see the connection, just as you see it as a connection the the Goddess.
    Anonymous

• my DH sees his gardening as VERY spiritual. he loves the power of growing things & feels connected to his veggies the same way (but less so) that i do about my DD. he has told me before that gardening makes him feel like he better understands God. he says that it makes it easier to understand why good/young ppl die...sometimes you have to remove a beautiful veggie so that the plant can grow/produce more. its about the entire garden, not just one veggie.

now those are his words & we have very differing views on God, but i can see where he is coming from. ive never really thought of gardening as spiritual for only one religion, so if i were you i would go. its not like they are going to know youre not Christian & hassle you about it...tho you might have to sit thru a Christian devo or something along those lines.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:08 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I don't feel like I am teaming up with God to produce life or anything. I feel like it is a miraculous process though. And I am very thankfull when I put a seed into the ground, it decomposes and produces life. It is crazy. Jesus said unless a seed fall unto the ground a dies, it will not produce life. This is a spiritual principle. Jesus had to die to bring eternal life to humanity. And I need to symbolically die to myself to be fruitfull as well.

Many of the parables use agricultural motifs. He compares the seeds to the Words of God, the field to the world we live in, the harvest to salvation, the soil the seed falls on to our hearts. The Farmer is the Father God. He compares weeds to evil that the devil plants in our lives to choke out our spiritual growth.

He also compares spiritual virtues to fruit. He says, we cannot bear fruit unless we abide in Him (He is the vine and we are the branches).

It is really cool
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:30 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• To be completely honest, I hate to garden! I do it because I feel it's my duty. But the idea of being dirty, makes my skin crawl! I love the product, but the actual act of planting is very boring and laborious to me. Now, watching it grow, very different, and spending time out in the finished product, is very calming and grounding. But actually gardening... No, not something I enjoy or find very spiritual. It's a huge job for me, and therefore not something I am able to relax and enjoy. But I do garden. I grow a little of everything, flowers, herbs and some foods (grapes, berries and other yummy stuff). I believe it's my duty to help the earth, and so I do as best I can...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:43 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I believe that gardening is a form of spiritual exercise and nature intunement. And I would go to the event; you just have to eat the meat and spit out the bones.

But I have to disagree...gardening (even for spiritual perceptions) are not Christian in nature.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 8:19 PM on Feb. 8, 2010